TLZone Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who has the bitubo rear shock on the TLR, how much better than stock & how does it compare to the more expensive alternatives?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
There are 200,567 threads on this - just use the 'search' button :coocoo

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Oh, and welcome to the Zone :bigfinger

no offence interded

:cheers

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
That should read 'inteNded' :bitchslap

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Welcome aboard,
I had the Bitubo then recently upgraded to a Penske triple clicker.
The Bitubo is an improvement over the OEM stock by sheer virtue of its reduction in weight. It's simpler and functions well. The advantage of the Ohlins or Penske units are the increase in adjustability over the Bitubo which is minimally adjustable in comparison.
Honestly, most every day riders will not need the increase in adjustment that the Ohlins or Penske offer and the Bitubo will make a good general replacement upgrade over stock and will serve well on the track as well. Only issue would be if the rider was particularly heavy and the lack of adjustment range could present a problem.
Ken

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks nycstripes. Thats what I wanted an honest answer from someone who has used both shocks. At 150lbs & mostly street use w/ a track day maybe once a year I'll be looking for a bitubo or a great deal on a used penske etc.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...the Ohlins or the Penske will be more expensive for the used alternatives then the new Bitubo... if you can find a Penske and don't mind the $$ it costs, get it...

G

·
I would go for the Bitubo.

The Öhlins is a PITA to get right, unless you find some good help, that is :)
And the occasional track day you would prolly not notice any big difference.

My bike was a track bike when I bought it and had the Öhlins diled in for my weigth. Though, maybe not fully for my riding style, but what ever... :laugh

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
1. There is no such thing as a "Great Deal" on a Penske. Most folks are selling second hand TL Penske's for what they paid for them new, and usually don't have a problem finding a buyer. The big deal is the stupid linkage system that the TL requires.

2. At 150lbs, you'll love the Bitubo and you can take the additional $400 bucks and sink it somewhere else into the bike.

One reason the Penske is better is the linkage. This allows the shock to have more travel and thus do it's job with more stroke of the damper. The bitubo fits in the stock location and therefore has to do it's job in a very short stroke. It still does a hell of a lot better than the stocker and is the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Gixxer Jasen

Great explanation:thumbup

Never actually saw a picture of how the Bitubo fit the TLR so knowing now that it goes in the stock location helps it all make sense because I knew the Ohlins had to have those crazy triangular blocks to give it the necessary distance for the stroke and I have heard all about the Penske and LE linkage and how expensive it is...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts