TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my 2001 TlR perfect.rode it for a little while rode great.parked it came back about an hour later started it up and it sounded like a lawnmower.r uh being on one cylinder.so whatever I changed plugs and coils and all that and still exactly the same I pull the front plug wire while it's running and it stays the exact same so it's definitely the front cylinder and it Sparks just fine so I'm stumped as to what could have all of a sudden changed.any help would be great thx.im almost ready to push this 9 thousand dollar paper weight off a cliff

·
Registered
625 Posts
Ok, take it from someone who had electrical problems with their bike, take a few minutes or hours and step back :). I cannot help you. There are a few on here that can and I'm sure they will chime in shortly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, take it from someone who had electrical problems with their bike, take a few minutes or hours and step back :). I cannot help you. There are a few on here that can and I'm sure they will chime in shortly.
Thanks.i bought this bike a year and a half ago and I've had nothing but problems with the electrical on this thing.i would have gotten rid of it but when it runs it runs better than any bike I e ever seen.i love it but wish Suzuki would fire their electrical guys

·
Registered
625 Posts
While some of what you say is true about the stock electrics on the bike, there's also a lot of previous owners who have, quite honestly, done some really stupid things to these bikes. They seem to have no idea what the repercussions are of what they are doing or have done to the bike. Try tagging Six5. He's an electrical genious when it comes to these bikes!!! He has helped me and several others over the years.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I have not posted in a long long while. So hello.

If your front plug isn't firing try this.

Take the plug boot out as you did. Then unscrew the wire lead that runs into it. Cut back about a quarter inch and expose some fresh copper. Then put the screw of the boot DEAD center on the lead wire strands. Screw it tight. Should put dielectric grease on too. Reinstall.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And that's where I'm stuck at.real pain in the ass.
I even tried unhooking the Dyno jet cammander and hooked the fuel injectors back up directly and literally it changed nothing it still is exactly the same..which I thought to be impossible seeing as the Dyno jet should be obviously diferentLy tuned than stock but still front cylinder is not combusting it's sparking and it has fuel so yeah just confused

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Any time you key off you lose any error codes. It's not like a car where they persist. Have you ever seen the red light flash when it's acting up? You should keep it in dealer mode while troubleshooting at all times and if a code throws you will see it on the dash. Have you tried moving the front injectors to the rear to see if problem follows the actual injectors?

It may sound silly but when it's acting up you should jiggle connectors. The big gang plugs and see if you notice any "fixes" then you can troubleshoot there.

Not your issue, but the headlight wire in the big yellow plug is almost always burnt a little. Way too much juice running through it for the skimpy wiring.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The R has two injectors per cylinder. One of which only kicks on above 4k rpms, so if it is lumpy at idle, I'd just switch the idle injectors to save time.

However, the likelihood of an injector randomly working seems very low. I think you are on the right track with electrical. Wiggle wires.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh and I could just be crazy it is possible.........
But when I put my hand over my exhaust pipe one side is blowing out hot obviously and the dead one is putting out cold but I swear it's sucking air more in than outline a. Vacccuumm but that could be I'm guessing due to no combustion in chamber
Any time you key off you lose any error codes. It's not like a car where they persist. Have you ever seen the red light flash when it's acting up? You should keep it in dealer mode while troubleshooting at all times and if a code throws you will see it on the dash. Have you tried moving the front injectors to the rear to see if problem follows the actual injectors?

It may sound silly but when it's acting up you should jiggle connectors. The big gang plugs and see if you notice any "fixes" then you can troubleshoot there.

Not your issue, but the headlight wire in the big yellow plug is almost always burnt a little. Way too much juice running through it for the skimpy wiring.
It's in dealer mode and that's kinda funny I did exactly that I switched the injectors from the front to back.i haven't tried to start it yet. I was covered in so much gasoline by to he time I was done I had to leave it alone for a while.i hope it works.and ironically the yellow wire that was mentioned I cut out a long time ago and ran an independent circuit and switch with a set of bar LED lights

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
So if you pull the plug on the dead cylinder does it come out wet with gas?

Also you can ignore the mismatch in what comes out of the tail pipes. The way the pipes are linked on TLRs tends to mean one side heats up quicker than the other and one side appear to vent more exhaust when idling.

Best seen starting up on a cold day. You'll get plenty of steam visible from one side and almost nothing from the other. Once the revs come up a bit it all evens out.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Oh and I could just be crazy it is possible.........
Isn't that your name? :)

Where in the US are you located? There could be someone right around the corner that could help diagnose.

Side note, good to see you still poking around Snowy! Not a huge fan of the new ownership layout, very corporate, miss the old days...

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Crazy,

Have you "wiggled wires"? I know it sounds silly, but intermittent electrical faults love wire wiggles. Remove the body panels for now and just shake the wires. Pull fuses. Be naughty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been doing that that's how got to this point it makes no sense and I'm in Arizona ..yes lots places say they can help but let me tell you the last shop I took my bike to was supposed to diagnose 24 hours.i didn't hear from them for 5 days..I finally went looking for my bike and when I got to the shop my bike was in pieces all oil drained out all gas drained out and sitting in the parking lot..I will never take my bike to a shop again

1 - 20 of 32 Posts