TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
There are, but without other mods I doubt they will increase performance much.

N2wheelies, Ficheman and Adavis can fill you in on all the details. I know ficheman has posted a sheet of all the various cam specs before (I think).

·
Registered
46 Posts
other mods? like exhaust,tre,filter or more engine type mods?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
yea, high copression, ported heads and such. intake and exh are the minimum

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:stupid

fancy cams aren't a lot of good without a bunch of extra compression to go with them.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
...cams have a profound effect on real-world dynamic compression viewed more as pre-combustion pressure as the charge is packed in...indeed hotter cams can lower the effective compression unless you increase the mechanical ratio by decreasing chamber volume somehow. N2wheelies is probably on the right track with those old Yosh race kit pistons from Art.

On my BMW K1200LT list people mix and match parts between the K1200RS sport heavyweight and the K1200LT tourer. Taking the hot cams from a K1200RS and putting them in the lower-compression K1200LT is disappointing 'cause the hot cams make the low compression effectively even lower. Put the high-compression K1200RS pistons in a K1200LT with its stock conservative cams and you have to use super-high octane.

2 valves actually flow more mixture than 4, but with this small a stroke we get a big bore and with that we get a huge area for valves, and with 4 of them the cams perform well over a very broad RPM band. In the old days the valves only worked well over a narrow PRM band, and you could move that peak up-rpm and get a lot more power at some expense of drivability. Now that 4 valves work better over a broader range, there's less to be gained moving this wide hump at all, especially when we can't easily raise the redline.

First I'd figure out some major airbox mods instead.

That all said, anyone selling any hot cams please PM me LOL! I'm in the market for just a little more lift.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
to be correct the pistons came from maverick, art did the final assembly. :) :thumbup

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
BikePilot said:
There are, but without other mods I doubt they will increase performance much.

N2wheelies, Ficheman and Adavis can fill you in on all the details. I know ficheman has posted a sheet of all the various cam specs before (I think).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts