TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The problem is the Penske dimensions wont help as there is no Showa shock as short as the Penske so the link has to be a totally different ratio, I already looked at that problem before I came up with the other method of mounting the Showa.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
...And it's not like you can just find a Penske to fit, either. I do believe John Lindemann shortened the shock considerably, made custom spring carriers, and did some revalving as well.

If you do some searches you'll find several posts about this, also at least one discussing the ethics of trying to copy John's design. John put in a ton of hard work to come up with the Penske/LE solution, and deserves more than to see it copied without compensation...

I need to go back and look, it may not be possible, but perhaps instead you could design brackets that carry Doug's Showa shock more vertically, allowing an installation that doesn't require cutting of the frame?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
There are bunch of problems with trying to mount a Showa Ohlins style. The rebound adjuster end of the shock which attaches normally to the swingarm will not fit between the mounting ears on the swingarm. The exrta length in the shock means the tipover switch and possibly the hinge for the gas tank need to be relocated.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Been here and tried it.

To fit a ducati style linkage you need a shock with a spring travel of around 70mm to get the correct 130mm rear wheel travel, you cannot get a shock with that travel short enough to fit under the seat. If you use a TLR Ohlins or similar you only have 50mm of shock travel (including bump stop and rebound springs) so will significantly reduce rear wheel travel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts