TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I bought this engine a while back as part of a bits package to use on a project.

Does anyone recognise the numbers on the bottom of the engine of know of the history?

Many thanks for any help
TLR CRANKCASE MARKINGS.jpg
Andy

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
looks like it could be a breakers stock item number..............

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ted,

I don't know the history of this engine, maybe the cases were swapped over, originals damaged who knows!
Most of the engine is together, the alternator side has the bushes missing that holds the starter shaft. A few side case bolts are not in, looks like it was in a state of rebuild then stopped.
Stator is bagged along with the clutch etc so its been looked after.

I guess its a case of strip it... or carry on with the rebuild and fingers crossed, i'm not sure.

I am hoping someone will pipe up and say they remember putting bit together, but it has been a while!

Andy

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
sod's law says it has been opened for some reason, maybe something had broken and not fixed or something removed.
I don't think I would use it as it is. It needs opening and checking mate.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,414 Posts
Those are the standard Suzuki codes that they paint on each new engine, they are there so you know you have a matched left and right hand crank case.

You can't just use one side from another set of cases as they are line bored in the factory to ensure the crank and gearbox bearings/shells are perfectly aligned and that the thrust clearances are exact or in the case of the crank that the tolerances fall within the 10no different thickness grade crank shims.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Sam,

Thanks again for your input,

I was told the engine was being rebuilt when I got it, but that was a third hand conversation. The original chap building it run out of money and the whole lot was sold on. The guy I got it from had intentions to get it finished and that never happened, I ended up getting it from him. May just do the basic checks and carry on with the rebuild and see where that gets me!

Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts