TLZone Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello new to TLRs. Previous owner got me, told me all it needed was the starter clutch and it sounded fine running after push starting it so I bought it and now I regret buying it cause of the problems it gave me off the bat.. I really like the bike and everyone I've talked to that had one said TLRS are awsome but temperamental, nevertheless I'm excited to get it going to see for myself.
So got it running and got it to idle tps good and replaced bad injectors, now that the bike is running the fuel is dumping into the bike fuel smoke coming out of both exhaust and getting blowback at times as well. Can anyone tell me where to start this is also my 1st bike that's fuel injected..
Thank you in advance for any help

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Welcome to the world of TL ownership. Whatever you paid for the bike multiply it by 2 and that's how much you can expect to spend on getting it running perfect. These bikes are very temperamental. They come with a heap of factory issues and defects. Don't let this scare you though, it's simply the cost of owning something different. In the end, I've never met anyone who didn't think the bike was worth the small fortune they put into it.

Reactions: Chachi

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the positivity I like working on bikes challenges are fun for the first few attempts but get old really quick. I started with compression test it was 150/140, changed fuel filter and brought pressure back to spec, changed 2 injectors that were clogged and now bike runs and idles but running too rich..like I said I'm new to efi and I'm wondering what sensors effect fuel and would they give a code if faulty?. My code light is clear and I'm stumped..

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
How about a bit of detail on the bike? What mods (exhausts, filters, power commander etc) if any does it have? These things make a a difference. It may be that 20 minutes with a yosh box will cure most of its ills.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
if its rich then it may be a leak to the intake air pressure sensor

or the TPS is not actually set correctly

is ti fuel smoke or oil smoke?

what colour is it?

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
is the clutch switch actually working properly and the gear position indicator too

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I can tell they Mod the airbox (two holes plugged up and removed the evap canister (California modle). Tps is set and smoke coming out is whitish blue and smells of gas

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I noticed that the bike starts to backfire and blowback when the iaps is plugged into the vacuum hose..also I bought new plugs again and smoke has gone down but still smoking quite a bit from rear cylinder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I've seen a lot of threads that don't have the solution to the problem asked or how they came to figure it out,so I have fixed my bike and I will try and tell you as much as I can on how I fixed the problem I asked about.
-white/blue smoke: the white smoke went away I think it was just cleaner passing through after cleaning out fuel system. Blue smoke (gas smoke) was due to the bike running rich from not having the iaps connected to the vacuum. Once iaps connected it would lean out and cause backfire and bike would stall out. So I started over again with the the vacuum lines and seated the throttle bodies properly and adjusted the TPS (found dead spot) so I changed TPS and got it to set. Running a bit better but not holding idle enough to to sync TB so I noticed after yet again going through vacuum lines that Im missing the vacuum damper that splits from the iaps so I picked one up off a busa and BAM bike holding idle and no more backfire so I was able to sync and now bike sounds amazing.. still haven't rode it yet need more work til it's safe for me to tackle out on the road. Hope this helps anybody else one day

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,441 Posts
Congrats on your progress Chachi! And thanks for following up with the fix. You are right. Many threads go unresolved.

So, in a nut shell your problems were due to a disconnected IAP sensor and vacuum damper; a bad TPS; and unbalanced throttle bodies.

Nice work.
:cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts