TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock '97 TLS and '95 RF900. I like the hydraulic clutch on the RF better. Has anyone replaced the cable clutch on a TLS with the hydraulic one from a TLR?:confused:

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I have . Do it dude . YOu have to grind the side of the slave cylinder down a bit .. but a good mod

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the reason for the grinding? different engine case shapes between TLS/TLR? Is it the type of grinding I can do in the garage or would I need a machine shop that could 'plane' a couple of MM off? Thanks for your help.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I don't know what grinding he is referring too. :dunno

The clutch pushrod length is different and that's about it.

Because the frames are different, the sprocket covers are incompatible.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i've done this on a 97 TLS and on a V-raptor 1000.

i remember i had to dremel a tiny bit off the slave on the TLS.
On the raptor it was a simpel swap without grinding.

TLR sprocket cover fits without modification IIRC.

Another BIG improvement is the mounting of a radial clutch M/C...e.g. aprilia tuono or alike, brembo radial. Much lighter action, and better feel. Never looked back, never want a cable clutch again. :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll have to dig up some parts over the winter. To answer Chargerdog1966 (you'd get along great with my cousin: he's got 4 challengers from 70-73.... which is another forum anyway...), yes, it would give a softer feel to the launch, which is what I'm looking for. I have a 95 RF900 and just like that clutch feel better, especially in city traffic. I live just outside Boston.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I've done it, worked great. It was quite a while ago, but I know for a fact that I didn't grind the slave cyl at all. I did have to cut up a sprocket cover a bit, but as far as I remember the sprocket cover isn't mounted to the frame. The mounting points on the case were different though (this will differ from early tls to late tls's as well IIRC). Overal its almost a bolt-on ordeal and you get rid of the trouble-prone (in poor weather conditions anyway) cable and worm drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts