TLZone Forums banner

Tlr clutch cable conversion

825 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Crazyauto87 
#1 ·
Hello Iam sick of the hydraulic clutch on my 2001 tlr...it is a disaster from the get go.so I need to convert to cable..do I need to change the entire clutch or can I just get the actuator from the tls?? Any help is appreciated thank you

#2 ·
Clutch is the same. You need the lever, cable, and actuator for the swap. Here's a post from a old poster on the 'Planet, SteveTLS;

Lever and assembly.
Cable.
Worm drive / acutator
LHS clutch push rod, or trim down the TLR hydraulic one.

I think you have to cut a bit out of the front sprocket cover, but maybe a TLS one will just bolt straight on if you run a front sprocket cover.

I haven't looked closely at a TLR case, but I'm guessing the bottom mount for the cable is there as I can't remember anyone ever bitching about it or having to change over the case cover?

Part #s there is a fiche on this site or go to Ron Ayres and get the part numbers. If it was me I'd just check the local wreckers and grab the lot in one hit, buying all the bits new would be expensive at a guess.

(don't let the center come out of the worm drive housing unless you have a container under it, there are a few ball bearings in it.)

#3 ·
Thank you I ordered the conversion kit from a company called SPEARS RACING.It worked out ok but yeah the from sprocket cover will need some trimming it also has the speedo wire in it otherwise I wouldn't care..it cost about 230 bucks but I feel like I could have gotten all the parts from a 99 TLS cheaper but I was just done messing with it..It works wonderfully,mostly I stripped one of the bolts that hold the actuator on so that's my fault and I sort of rigged it and it's ok for now.but anyone who is doing this conversion be careful the metal is soft and will strip out quick not easy to fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.