TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,
I’ve been having a look on here at posts about the carbon fibre airbox for a TLR.
Do many of you guys have experience with doing this mod?
Anybody who has, could you give me your experiences of it, what positives have you found and any negatives?
What have you done about air filters?
Any constructive input will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Andy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine already has the airbox mod with a k+n filter but I’m considering an upgrade having had a 1080 built by Sam and a full M4 system too. I’m just trying to decide if it’s worth the additional cost prior to having a PCV fitted and custom mapped.

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts
Have you asked Sam his advice? I've yet to see any dyno results showing an increase in performance with the carbon fibre airbox, but that could be because they are as rare as hens teeth. I know several 1080 owners and they have all run modified airboxes with k&n filter.

If memory serves the TL is extremely fussy about airboxes and airflow, and some mods can actually reduce power rather than gain it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I’ve spoken to Sam and he’s said that although he hasn’t had any experience with the carbon airbox, that everything he’s tried, including his current setup of the Ducati 999 shower injector throttle bodied in a custom, large airbox and he’s found no difference on the dyno. So I think I’ll save the £300 or so that the carbon airbox costs and put it into something else. Cheers guys.
Andy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Carbon fiber has nothing to do with it, any aftermarket composite airbox weighs a fraction of the stock box. You always need to build your own filter, but the airtubes are also straighter and lighter and come through the frame into the box, so you can seal them. Sharkskinz still makes a nice one for the R.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi, I run a carbon airbox, certainly more top end and overall go, but made the power more linear, so harder to pick the front up in 3/4 for wheelies. 136bhp at the rear wheel on a Dynojet Dyno. I made up a carbon bottom plate and used a 916 Ducati MWR filter. I'll post some pictures when I get home tonight.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Would be easier (and cheaper) just to paint the bike yellow. 150 rwhp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts