TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone, well anyone who reads this at least.

Bought my TLR back in 1998 and rode it for a while before life took over at it sat in my garage unridden for about 12 years - serves me right for having other bikes.

Anyway, due to the very dry summer we had in the UK this year I had the time and money to get it up and running again - just finished it and taken it out for a couple of short blasts - superb, just what I have been missing out on all these years riding other bikes.

Just a thought - can anyone recommend a rear paddock stand as when I need to use mine I have to take off the seat unit and mudguard which is a bit of a chore.

Thanks

·
Moderator,
8,236 Posts
Howdy and let me be the first to say :worthless

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Welcome :bigfinger. Fill in your profile so we know whereabouts you are as for paddock stand there's plenty around with hooks that go onto the bobbins you can fix to the swinging arm, or just get one with cups to go under the swinging arm, if you feel flush an abba stand is worth having.

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,281 Posts
Welcome to the Zone fastkrang! :thumbup

......can anyone recommend a rear paddock stand as when I need to use mine I have to take off the seat unit and mudguard which is a bit of a chore.....
Huh? :O I'm still trying to picture what kind of rear stand this is...... :confused

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all that. I will update my profile shortly and add some photos of the TLR over the weekend - basically its a low mileage, pretty stock example and that's how it's going to stay, apart from the mileage.

The rear stand I have is made by Champion and uses bobbins on the swingarm - just wondered if anyone else had the same problem as I am thinking of getting something different that doesn't require half the bike to be removed to check the chain tension or whatever.

If anyone is interested I am in Yorkshire (that's in the UK for all you over the other side of the Atlantic)

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,281 Posts
The rear stand I have is made by Champion and uses bobbins on the swingarm - just wondered if anyone else had the same problem as I am thinking of getting something different that doesn't require half the bike to be removed to check the chain tension or whatever.
Maybe it's me, but I still don't get it. :confused

How is your rear stand any different than the one pictured here, and why does it require disassembly of the bike? :O

20171103_172411 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have the same issue with a micron stand it catches on the plate when fitting 🤔

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought an adjustable Pit Bull stand to fit my 2012 Kawasaki ZX14R. It was a bit wider to fit that fat swingarm. Sold the ZX and still use that same stand for ALL my bikes that have spools. Highly recommended. Its holding up my 01 TLR as I type this....

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Nope, I don't get it either. Only know of two types of stands: those that slide under the swing arm and those that slide onto spools screwed into the swing arm.

NOTE: My bike is apart for different reasons, so you can't use it to make your argument 🙂

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Still don't see why you need to remove anything in the first place.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TL-Zone_01.jpg

Hello again, if you are still reading. That should be a photo of my bike - if it is you will see it is pretty much standard and that is the way I would like to keep it. The only modificationjs I have made have been mainly for function rather than looks. I have more jobs to do to it, as always, but my priority was to get it back on the road - and this has been achieved. Unfortunately, the weather has turned for the worse here due to the time it took me to get the bike done so my outings have been limited - but I will get out on it as much as possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Paddock_Stand.jpg

Hope that shows the problem. The mudguard and light etc. stop the stand going far enough to locate on the bobbins. I am going to look for a stand with a shorter handle so that it doesn't catch the rear of the bike and can be used properly.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Ah.... now I see the problem- That has to be a dedicated front wheel stand. The way it's designed with those cross bars... it wouldn't work on just any modern sport bikes in stock form. I could be mistaken on this, but I'm fairly confident. I know they make dedicated front-only-stands, but I personally have never seen one. Typically they're universal.

Good news is that it looks pretty solid, so if you wanted to be cheap about it you could probably get away with cutting those cross bars off altogether if you've got a Dremel or something.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Well I tried doing the research to back up my assumption and I can't find an NGK stand anywhere. I can't even locate a reference confirming NGK ever even produced a stand. Now I'm officially buggered.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Josh, in my view cutting the side bars off won't make any difference, its just too long,
Op, if I were you I'd just buy another paddock stand, they are not exactly a lot of money, that should sort your problem out,

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thats the exact problem I have lol. What is the difference between front and back stands then ?Where does a front stand locate to lift 🤔🤔

1 - 20 of 34 Posts