TLZone Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys... i need to get a new battery for my tlr but the dealer price is pretty high...
went to pep boys, autozone, and wal-mart much better prices but no battery listed for TLR (YT12A-BS) only for the TLS (YTX12-BS). The TLS and GSXR1000 use the same battery. So, does anyone know if the battery for the TLS will work/fit in the TLR battery box? Or do I need to suck it up and go to the stealer? Also, any other battery suggestions would be greatly appreciated... :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
go with a yuasa, everything else breaks after a week especially interstate batteries. they cant handle the vibrations

·
Registered
86 Posts
OH, and there is a difference between the TLS ad TLR batteries, not just one letter on the side of the battery! I have a brand new TLS battery at home because I thought they would fit. I was wrong, they are to tall.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
The TLR battery is sealed... because its mounted Sideways... the TLS battery mounts under the seat...upright...So you want to be sure to get a battery for a TLR.. I bought the Parts unlimited battery for my TLR (identical to the YUSA, with a parts unlimited name on it)

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you have a NAPA nearby, get their Power Sport battery. I'ts a Exide-Yuasa and has a better warranty then the Yuasa, plus it's the same battery. I've been running mine for over a year now. The number is PSB-12ABS. It should be 20-30 less then the one from your dealer. Some here like the Xtreme battery from Batteries Plus, part number XTA12A-BS......it's about 35-40 dollars
Regards Sonny

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I had the one from Batteries Plus on my bike for like six months without any problems before I got rid of the bike. I did use a tender on it however whenever the bike was parked in the garage.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SonnyD said:
If you have a NAPA nearby, get their Power Sport battery. I'ts a Exide-Yuasa and has a better warranty then the Yuasa, plus it's the same battery. I've been running mine for over a year now. The number is PSB-12ABS. It should be 20-30 less then the one from your dealer. Some here like the Xtreme battery from Batteries Plus, part number XTA12A-BS......it's about 35-40 dollars
Regards Sonny

Thanks! I'll have to check out Napa... :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'll give you a tip, if you can find out what shops that the store you go to is servicing, then when you go in, tell them you work at one of those shops....they'll give you a pretty good discount. They don't really care, it doesn't cost them anything, and it can save you another 10-15 dollars. I work for NAPA, so I know it works!
Regards Sonny

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sonndD :rockon napa :rockon tlzone :rockon

went to napa to see if they had the tlr battery in stock per suggestion of SonnyD... guy that helped me was super cool... finally found the battery for me (it was right in front of us :doh ) and gave me a 10% discount on top of it (because I said a buddy in another state that worked for napa recommended it).

total cost napa battery $49 +tax

dealer quote on battery (not in stock) $90 + tax

knowing that i got a yuasa exide and saving almost 1/2 the $$$... priceless!

:) :) :)

(btw i did check batteries plus website - my backup plan, and there price for the Xtreme battery was $46.)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
NAPA does rock. Very good source for hard to find parts, stuff that is aftermarket OEM replacement stuff at a fraction of the cost. I do get my bike spark plugs there & didn't think of the battery stuff Sonny. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Thanks guys...Crash808.....glad I could be of service. That's a great price they gave you, only about 12 bucks more then I pay as an employee. The battery I bought a little over a year ago is still Rockin'&Rollin'. NAPA is now stocking Power Sport oil filters also. I looked at the one they list for the TLR, and while the gasket is identical in diameter, and the thread pitch and all is the same, the overall capacity looks to be a little shy, ie, the overall diameter is a little smaller. I'm sure it will work but don't know if it would have any advere effect. It's a NAPA Gold, which is a Wix, it's also half the price of the Suzuki filter.
Regards Sonny

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...FYI, the TLS battery is also sealed AGM type like the TLR - its just larger in dimensions...thanks for the NAPA info...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts