TLZone Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

First off I am new around here, I appreciate any advice you all give me. I bought my first TL1000s yesterday with only 6k miles on it. It will idle very poorly when on the fast idle setting when cold, but when it is warm it will idle at about 2k rpms without the fast idle on. It seems to be slightly better when brought up to operating temperature. It also seems to run much better when it is above 4k rpms. It will still stumble a little bit above 4k but intermittently. Below 4k it is extremely jerky and doesn't feel right. Also if you whack the throttle when it is idling poorly, it just dies. However, if you slowly increase throttle it will rev. The FI light has not come on. I did some reading before posting this, and I think it is the TPS adjustment that is messing everything up. I have ordered a carb sync kit to sync the TBs so I can set the TPS after. I will also be doing the spark plugs today as well.

I was hoping some of you might have some other things I could check/replace while I am waiting for my sync kit to come in. Any advice is much appreciated!
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
That bike looks mint!

Adjustment is a sensible way to try and improve. But given the age and the mileage it could be other things. Do you have a fresh set of plugs at the ready, just in case? And is there any chance old fuel is messing up stuff?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I changed out the spark plugs today, the old ones looked not too bad. The bike is running much better with the new plugs, but still not like it is supposed to (now it can idle fairly smoothly for about 30 seconds). At this point I am thinking old fuel might have clogged up the injectors, so that will be my next move

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so here is my update:

Synced TBs and set TPS
Went through the entire fueling system, everything is within spec
Went through all vacuum lines, all are in good shape with no leaks

When I had the airbox off, I noticed it likes to backfire through the TBs (does this on both cylinders). I now suspect either the valves are way out of whack or the cams have somehow advanced themselves. Anyone have any other advice before I get deep into the motor?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey,

I checked the boots and everything looked good. I pulled the valve covers off, and found that the previous owner timed the rear cams to the F/T mark. Haven't pulled apart the front yet, but I am pretty sure I am going to find the front timed to the rear. There was also absolutely 0 valve clearance. Looks like I'm in the market for a used engine.

Picture taken on rear cylinder at R/T mark at TDC if anyone is curious.
Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Gear Rim

·
Super Moderator
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,699 Posts
...... I pulled the valve covers off, and found that the previous owner timed the rear cams to the F/T mark. Haven't pulled apart the front yet, but I am pretty sure I am going to find the front timed to the rear. There was also absolutely 0 valve clearance.
Newbie, I am fairly certain if the cam timing were that far off (that is, the rear cylinder timed to the F/T mark, and the front cylinder timed to the R/T mark) the engine would not run. Yet, in your first post you say it idles, albeit poorly.

Please have another look at the cam installation diagrams on pages 3-72 through 3-75 in the manual. You will see that BOTH cams are installed relative to the F/T mark, but with one crank rotation of separation between them. The markings on the cam gears are for the installation process, and they will not necessarily line up with the head on the TDC marks. Well, with the F/T mark, yes, with the R/T mark, no.

Notice the position of the cam lobes on the rear head during cam installation. The lobes are not at the TDC (R/T) position, and that's OK because the crank has just been turned 360 degrees to the F/T mark, so the front cylinder is again at TDC. The F/T mark is used for the installation of both cams because it provides state where things can be assembled without fighting spring tensions, and the alignment of the critical components can be marked and verified in a static state (without moving any parts to induce variables).

Well, that's my take. I know I had to look at things for quite some time the first time I had the cams out of mine.

I know I haven't covered all the bases here, but I suspect your situation is not as dire as you might think.

Have another look and let us know what you find.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts