TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEEEELP!!! My 1997 TL1000s shakes it head when i accelerate hard, never used to do it not this bad anyway havn't had the balls to try and accelerate out of it if i back off and accelerate again its not as bad or change up a gear, have had front wheel balanced and head bearings done because there was play there. Steering dampner feels weak.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
well, if you've done head bearings might want to get a decent damper.

decent suspension will also fix it, still have the pos boat anchor rear damper?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Checklist.
1. Tire pressure.
2. Tire condition. (front and rear) ( cupped, left side worn out??)
3. steering head bearings, which you already checked/replaced
4. Wheel bearings.
5. Fork bushings.
6. Tire direction. (did you have it replaced recently):confused

You can also replace you stock damper fluid with fork oil. I use 7.5 wt. belray
fork oil in my TLR damper......

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
check the back of the bike too turning on the power applies pressure to the back of the bike .
swing arm pivots
chain tension
rear wheel bearings.
rear shock
tyre pressure

·
Registered
76 Posts
The steering dampener is definitely not where you want to look.

Getting it tighter would only be masking the problem, which is quite dangerous.

I run my TL with no dampener, and I comfortable with it because I know everything is 100 percent.

It should not shake with or without a damper.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
The first thing I would check is if the rear and front wheel are aligned properly. If the rear wheel is not mounted exactly straight, it will feel strange. And beware you can't really trust the marks on the swingarm!

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right Ive just replaced both tyres with continentals ran them in and this is where it's all started from. altho its always had a little shake but nothing major.
Only the front wheel was balanced properly/ checked wheel alignment/ check bearings there cool/ no slop in the steering/ check tyre pressures/ wheel bearing feel ok/ the steering damper i can hold with 1 hand and push the plunger down with my middle finger in the same hand! is this right? It only shakes its head if you really go for it, if you are gentle you can go past 135mph. It seams to happen at 135mph, the bike seemed ok when i was two up the other day although i was'nt accelerating as fast as before. Chain adjustment is ok too.

T

·
0 Posts
If your still using the stock rear suspension and have the front suspension sorted already (fork springs for your weight, fluid levels and weight, 7.5 preferred, forks up a little in the triples, etc) then the rear end is failing you. The bike's transfer a lot of weight backwards and unloads the front and you'll get the "shakes".. Bitubo, Ohlins, Maxton, Penske, Hyperpro, etc. all have a fix for the rear and if you can snag one of Ziggy's ride height adjusters to dial the rear end up a little bit more it should all settle out for ya...SC

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorted... well 98% buckle front wheel doh!!!!!!! still get out of shape if i hit cat's eye under acceleration butt onther than tht i can control it.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I've no idea what 98% buckel means, but the stock steering damper should be quite hard to move in and out when its off the bike. It likely has run low on oil. Re-filling and bleading might be a good idea. Also check your race sag front and rear. It doesn't have to be off by much to make for some weird handling.

have fun:cheers

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bloody shake still there, not as bad tho can accelerate through it 135 then comes back at 145ish, it stops if i put my more of my weight over the tank, What suspension setting should I use? I'm 11/2 stone 6ft tall. Ive got rear damper set hard and the blue marks on top of fork legs at 3.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts