TLZone Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,844 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,844 Posts
The colour also appears to be Marble red which is a 1997 colour.
The Helios red, a 2001 colour is similar but the tank logo on the helios colour was silver and on the marble red was black.
Given that the colours are so similar I find it unlikely a customer insisted on having a new bike with the old colour.........

·
Premium Member
6,844 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,844 Posts
with the same speedo that is marked to 180km/h, it's from a Suzuki SV400.

I think you're right - maybe it is a parts make up? - and someone wanted that speedo for the mileage record?

check your frame and engine number online or with a dealer.

Your water pump cover looks like a 1997, take some more pics, also of the radiator electrical connections.

On a 1997 you have 2, one each side at the bottom of the radiator. Later models have one.

·
Premium Member
6,844 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,844 Posts
The bike is definitely not restricted, before this I had a SV1000S and the performance is more or less the same.

So have you ridden it off the clock - faster than 180kph?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi, I'm at work at the moment and they block most sites so I can't check the frame number now. I did not take it all the way to 180 but I did 120km on the speedo and left my buddie behind and he was doing 190km/h. If I'm correct then each 30km/h indicated on this speedo is actually 50km/h. If this is a 1997 model I'm going to kill some-one. The frame number is VT51A100927 and the engine number is T501108250.

·
Premium Member
6,844 Posts
I have a frame number with VT51A and it was originally sent by Suzuki to America in 1997 then imported to GB as new in the same month still in the crate. It is now on the UK register.

I also have a 1999 bike with a later engine number.
I also have 2 x 1997 bikes with later engine numbers.
but the engine numbers may have something to do with the country not the manufacture date.

Check yours with a dealer.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The only thing I can gather out of the numbers you provided is as follows, all it confirms really is that it's a 850-999cc V-twin.

Source applies mainly to North American bikes, but would also work for most places that have adopted the VIN system. Yours only seems to contain the VDS and VIS information, skipping the check digit, year code and factory code. Is there a similar number with more information somewhere else on the ike?

Frame:

V: V-type engine, street (V2, V4)
T: 850—999cc
5: 4-stroke, twin
1: This digit tells the model version. The first version uses 1, the second 2 and so on. Letters A, B, C... are used after the 9 is used.
A: Generally an A is used for the base model with non-restricted (full) power output. Different letters can be used for new or special editions of the same model.
100927:Serial number, six digits

Engine:

T: 850—999cc
5: Four-stroke, twin
01: Unlike type, the sequence number for engine uses a two-digit number starting with 01.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks for the help, I will try to check with a local dealer although this is South Africa. Our dealers are useless, the only time they are more than willing to help is when you want to buy something. I hate it when you try live an honest life and help where you can and then some donkey's behind cheats the living daylights out of you. Suppose that's life. Usually I will get on my bike and open it up and forget all about the rest of the world, with this I'm to scared to do so as I have no idea what to expect from it. I will check on my next off days, just strip it down, give it a proper service and hope for the best. If any-one knows where I can get a TL1000S speedo face that is marked in km/h or just a good scan so I can have a face made up I will appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
6,844 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm from South Africa. I just bought a 2002 Suzuki TL1000S and I was so eager to get on and go that I never looked at the speedo apart from checking the km reading. The speedo is marked as 180km/h top speed and a TL1000S should be 300km/h. Does anybody perhaps know what bike this speedo comes from? Everything is exactly the same as the TL1000S setup it just the top speed that is much lower. I double checked it is not 180 miles/h it is marked only in km/h. I suppose the seller chanced it to get a lower odometer reading. I would appreciate any information. Thanks.
Sid try Wish. I'm sure u can pick one up on their site. I do have one also. Someone took my 340km and left this with me. Where u at bud?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts