TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm from South Africa. I just bought a 2002 Suzuki TL1000S and I was so eager to get on and go that I never looked at the speedo apart from checking the km reading. The speedo is marked as 180km/h top speed and a TL1000S should be 300km/h. Does anybody perhaps know what bike this speedo comes from? Everything is exactly the same as the TL1000S setup it just the top speed that is much lower. I double checked it is not 180 miles/h it is marked only in km/h. I suppose the seller chanced it to get a lower odometer reading. I would appreciate any information. Thanks.

·
Registered
763 Posts
A picture of the Speedo would be useful to identify it you won’t get any good reply as there will be wild guesses or ideas.

In other word this thread is useless without picture.

Welcome

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry did not mean to hijack some-one else's post I was so #$%^#$ off that I could not find the add new thread option at first. Will upload pics just now.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
It's not just the speedo, it's your entire gauge cluster. It's from a Suzuki SV650. Not sure what year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks but can you tell me how you see that? I don't want to sound completely stupid but the cluster looks the same as the one on the TL1000S owner manual apart from the top speed. If it is how did they get it to work? Are they interchangeable? The rev counter, trip counter, everything seems to work.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
They look like tls gauges to me, I wonder if someone has just changed the face on the Speedo for some reason, I've not seen one like that before.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I see something written in the lower-right of the speedometer. What is it?

·
Registered
592 Posts
They look like tls gauges to me, I wonder if someone has just changed the face on the Speedo for some reason, I've not seen one like that before.
:stupid SV gauges only have one LCD for the odometer.

Is it possible there is some sort of restrictions on South African models that required this change? Also, there was no 2002 TLS :confused

·
Registered
592 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
:stupid SV gauges only have one LCD for the odometer. :confused

I think that was meant for me. I didn't notice the second LCD on the tac. :bitchslap

·
Registered
592 Posts
No, I was agreeing with gazza...but it was related to your original comment.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
That's what I mean. The 'I'm with stupid was meant for me'

·
Premium Member
6,844 Posts
Those are not standard TLS clocks.
On the rev counter there is no F1/oil/temp light.
All the TLS clocks show MPH and KPH in some format or another.

If it was sold to you as a 2002 bike I would be suspicious.

1.) Check with your local Suzuki bike dealer and ask him to verify frame and engine number with their database to confirm year.

I f he sold it to you go to another dealer to check.
If you bought privately your buggered – but we can help you sort it!

The speedo may be disguised for some reason and for kph read mph.
The bike might be restricted for some reason.
Maybe someone built the bike from parts. I sometimes do the same but keep the original documentation and identity.

2.) Use a gps satnav to verify the reading on the speedo. Should be there or there-a-bouts.

3.) Do a search through ebay under motorbike clocks or similar to see if you can identify the clocks – you are looking for something that can only do 180kph/120mph.

4.) Take some more pictures of the bike and post them up so we can see and possibly help identify stuff for you.

Stuff like general pictures of the sections like from seat back, from seat forward, whole dash layout and specifics like water pump cover, radiator sensors and connections, oil cooler, levers, clutch actuator, ecu to show the numbers etc….

Don't keep us waiting ................ laugh It's never as bad as it seems!

·
Registered
592 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Those are not standard TLS clocks.
On the rev counter there is no F1/oil/temp light.
All the TLS clocks show MPH and KPH in some format or another.

If it was sold to you as a 2002 bike I would be suspicious.
[snip]
The speedo may be disguised for some reason and for kph read mph.
The bike might be restricted for some reason.
[snip]
That is strange not seeing the FI light....
The only other bike I have seen with similar gauges (at least close enough to fit in the TL panels) is the 1st gen SV650, and I'm not even certain they would fit that well.

Haven't there been some bikes in Europe that get called a certain year because that was the first year of sale or the year of import?

I'd guess some kind of import restrictions, whether the rest of the bike is restricted or not would be interesting to know. I know one of the forums has a member in SA, can't remeber who or where though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just checked and there is a F1 light on the taco meter it just didn't come out in my pic. I took the pic last night in the dark. The number seen in the pictures on the side of the speedo face is: 341-02F0.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In South Africa the last TLS came out in 2002. The registration papers shows the bike was first registered on 01 July 2002 as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just found a bike for sale in South Africa with the same speedo that is marked to 180km/h, it's from a Suzuki SV400. Here is a link to the pictures: http://nigel.olx.co.za/suzuki-sv-400-s-iid-814022779
The thing I don't get is that the rest of the cluster: ie. the taco meter and warning lights on the side look the same as in the TLS owners manual. The bike is definitely not restricted, before this I had a SV1000S and the performance is more or less the same.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts