TLZone Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a TL1000S that has 89k km on the clock. It has some issues, one of them being hard start...
If I warm it up and adjust idle to ~2500rpm, shut it off - starts cold like a charm. When it warms up to about 80C I turn the idle down to like 1000 rpm, feels that it likes it the most - throttle response wise. And before I shut it down I adjust the idle up to 2500rpm so it would start fine, otherwise almost impossible to get it running... Checked codes and TPS position - all good. New here so maybe someone can help...

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Welcome to the forum a55h0l.

Normally, there is a 'fast idle' lever on the left-hand switch pod that does the same thing you're describing in your starting procedure. Some TLs need a bit more throttle during cold start depending upon tune and atmospheric conditions. That is what the fast idle lever is for. It opens the throttle slightly to a preset amount.
Of course, since the bike is new to you, it would be good to check the throttle balance also.

Link to YouTube TPS & TB Sync

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the "fast idle" does not seem to do anything at all... Or at least I can't notice. I guess I hate to try the TB sync then. Thanks. Any more ideas? I did check the plugs and saw some oil in the airbox, closer to 1st cylinder. Could it be just some venting problem or something serious? Bike feels quite rough, but it revs and pulls pretty good.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
If this is a '97 or '98 TLS, oil in the air box is no surprise. It is a crankcase venting issue, and the oil collects toward the number one cylinder due to gravity. Yes, the oil can get pulled into the cylinder through the throttle body, but that in itself is not causing the cold start issue.

If you are getting no response from the fast idle lever, then that is a problem. It needs to be lubed, or adjusted, or both. You'll notice at the throttle body end that the cable moves a cam that in turn opens the throttle butterfly slightly. It's a fairly simple mechanism, and I can't think of any good reason to leave it non-functional. The service manual explains how to adjust it.

The throttle body sync and TPS adjustment are basic requirements. They both have a large impact on how well the TL engine will idle, along with the quality of it's throttle response. If you don't want to attempt the adjustment yourself, they should at least be checked to establish a baseline. If the balance is out, there really isn't anything else that will effectively compensate for it. Sure, the engine will start and run, but it won't be optimized.

As for obtaining reliable, quick starting performance, other areas that may need attention are:
  • Battery condition; 12.8V minimum in the off state
  • Charging system performance; Battery voltage should be at least 13.2V at idle, and 14V at 5000 RPM.
  • Cleanliness of electrical connectors in the starting and ignition circuits. Poor electrical connections steal voltage from other components, which causes slow cranking and weak ignition sparks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts