TLZone Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
We disconnected coolant temperature sensor and engine works complete not correct. We used regulated resistor instead of coolant temp sensor, and set resistance like in service manual.
After this operation FI lamp is switch off, engine works much better... we decide to do it because when engine is cold, FI lamp's illumination level is close to zero. When engine is hot, FI lamp's illumination level is higher and it affect worse engine operation.

It looks, that ECU has erroneous signal from the sensor and it effect "misfire". Am I right ??? :confused

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts
Did you disconnect the oil pressure sensor as was outlined above?

The coolant temp sensor is something completely different, and an error would generate a code. :banghead

Don't do anything except disconnect the oil pressure sensor and report back. Just undo that single bolt, pull the wire away and then start the bike.

For emphasis: OIL PRESSURE SENSOR ONLY. DONT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE!!!!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok. I checked. When I pull the wire from oil sensor away, fi lamp illumination level is the same like before.... This sensor doesn't effect on FI lamp in my bike.... What is correct reaction Fi lamp if I disconnect the wire from sensor ??? :confused Btw.... I can see, that on boards sometimes there is wrong engine temperature.... I try to describe... I start engine and after few minutes I have temperature about 60 degrees Celsius, so I will switch off the engine. I start the engine again and I can see 30 degrees Celsius. I think it is not normal situation right ???? :O

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts
If the oil pressure was the cause, then disconnecting that sensor would of stopped the light activating. All the other sensors will trigger an error code of some type if they are the source.

Check the black/dark green wire going into the back of the clocks. This is the wire responsible for the red FI light and the temperature. If the oil pressure wasn't the cause, and the bike isn't showing any error codes then check the voltage on this using a multimeter. If there are worn or frayed wires somewhere in the loom this could be the cause.

Apart from that, I'd swap out the clocks then the ECU in a process of elimination. I've never had the FI light on for any reason that wasn't an error code, and I've seen the temp reading up to 100°C in the past.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
But how to explain the fact, that every time when we switch ignition off, and again switch on, temperature on display shows big differences and it causes ECU cheats.

Update: I swapped ECU, and no improvement. Coming back to oil sensor, it does not affect the operation of the engine in my bike. I'm running out of ideas :O

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
We disconnected coolant temperature sensor and engine works complete not correct. We used regulated resistor instead of coolant temp sensor, and set resistance like in service manual.
After this operation FI lamp is switch off, engine works much better... ......

It looks, that ECU has erroneous signal from the sensor and it effect "misfire". Am I right ??? :confused
I would tend to agree on this point. Something is not right with the coolant temp sensor. If it is sending bad information to the ECM, who knows which fuel map is being used.

I am using a similar method with a "switched resistor" to bypass the coolant sensor on my TLS to prevent it from using the 'cold map.'

There may still be an issue with xAdik1989x's clocks, but since the coolant sensor reports directly to the ECM, and when it was replaced with a fixed resistor the engine operation improved, that says something.....

Ok. I checked. When I pull the wire from oil sensor away, fi lamp illumination level is the same like before.... This sensor doesn't effect on FI lamp in my bike.... What is correct reaction Fi lamp if I disconnect the wire from sensor ??? :confused
This seems to confirm that the oil pressure switch is not causing the red light to illuminate (as Crash noted).

When the oil switch wire is grounded, the light will illuminate. So then, when the engine is not running, or the pressure is weak, the light will illuminate, because the switch is closed and provides a path to chassis ground.

When the engine is running, the oil pressure holds the switch open, so the light is off.

Btw.... I can see, that on boards sometimes there is wrong engine temperature.... ... I start engine and after few minutes I have temperature about 60 degrees Celsius, so I will switch off the engine. I start the engine again and I can see 30 degrees Celsius. I think it is not normal situation right ???? :O
This sudden temperature change is not right. There maybe communication problems between the ECM and the clocks, or the temp sensor is providing bad data.

Apart from that, I'd swap out the clocks then the ECU in a process of elimination. .....
Adrian has already swapped out the ECM. If I am reading correctly the thread linked below.

https://www.tlzone.net/forums/suzuki-tl1000r-tl1000s-forum/151594-fi-lamp-but-no-fault-c-00-losing-power-high-rpm.html

As JoE. mentioned, the problem may well be the clocks.

But how to explain the fact, that every time when we switch ignition off, and again switch on, temperature on display shows big differences and it causes ECU cheats.

Update: I swapped ECU, and no improvement. Coming back to oil sensor, it does not affect the operation of the engine in my bike. I'm running out of ideas :O
Adrian, as you mentioned previously, there is a problem with the coolant temp circuit. You will need to sort that out before you can make further progress. It is either a bad sensor or intermittent connection in the wires.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thank you guys for extensive explanations... We replaced even complete electric loom to be sure, that electrical impulses are correct. Next step I try to swap coolant temp sensor and inform you. Six5 tell me is it normally when engine is working and I will disconnect clocks, engine stalls ??? Are clocks connected direct with ECM ???

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
...... Six5 tell me is it normally when engine is working and I will disconnect clocks, engine stalls ??? Are clocks connected direct with ECM ???
The clocks are connected directly to the ECM with a few wires. However, the engine management system can operate without the clocks connected. The ECM does not require information from the clocks in order to do its job.

On the other hand, the clocks should NOT be connected or disconnected when the system is powered up and running! :crazy In general, disconnecting components while power is applied can cause voltage or current spikes. Such spikes can cause damage to internal components in the ECM or instrument cluster.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts