TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GDay all was after any input on valve clearance , I have a 98 tlr with bout 41,000 on it and just checked valves before tps and throttle body sync , I’ve had it 4 years , runs great just started to hesitate when crack throttle, will put down clearances just wondering if there ok or should I shim some cheers Rear inlet L/H 0.15 R/H 0.13 exaust L/H 0.20 R/H 0.25 Front looking from front of bike inlet L/H 0.15 R/H 0.11 exaust L/H 0.23 R/H 0.23 thanks guys any info much appreciated cheers 🤙

·
Registered
106 Posts
Taken directly from the service manual.
Tappet clearance (when cold):
IN. : O.10-0.20 mm (0.004-0.008 in)
EX.: 0.20-0.30 mm (0.0080.012 in)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Taken directly from the service manual.
Tappet clearance (when cold):
IN. : O.10-0.20 mm (0.004-0.008 in)
EX.: 0.20-0.30 mm (0.0080.012 in)
Thanks for reply I know there within tolerance but was more thinking do people prefer them at tighter end or loose and do i bother changing the couple tight ones cheers

·
Registered
106 Posts
To my way of thinking as close to spec is best and if you already have it cracked open then give'r hell.

·
Registered
565 Posts
While I haven't adjusted the valves on my TL, I have a KLR and have done a valve adjustment on it. I prefer to run the valves on the loose side of the spec, as they tend to "tighten" up over time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sonit seems youre correct stay on the looser side of things. The tighter you are the higher the vakve seat velocity making it clappy and harder on the engine. Close the gap a bit and it quiets down and is not so hard on the valve seats.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Use the search engine (where it says search community) and look for valve lash or valve adjustment. There lots of guys with the same question but thats the answer i was seeing. on the loose side is better for street and a little tighter for track.
We both learned something. I guess that just means you would need to check them a tad more often too. Its not that big of a deal to do that every other year or so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Use the search engine (where it says search community) and look for valve lash or valve adjustment. There lots of guys with the same question but thats the answer i was seeing. on the loose side is better for street and a little tighter for track.
We both learned something. I guess that just means you would need to check them a tad more often too. Its not that big of a deal to do that every other year or so.
yer sweet will have a look always something to learn , thanks bro 😎

1 - 9 of 9 Posts