TLZone Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't started tearing the bike down yet to access the issue, so this thread is more of a preemptive strike of sorts. Was riding home the other day and noticed my clutch lever was becoming very spongy. I'd pull it all the way in to shift, then it just sort of took its sweet time returning to its relaxed state. Clutch still engages, but the lever has 0 resistance until midway. I'd say the symptoms mimic not having enough clutch fluid, but the level in the reservoir hasn't changed. I guess that also rules out a leak. I've never had the cap off, so ruling out an air bubble. Haven't messed with the resistance adjuster on the clutch handle, so that rules out that. Possibly a ton of gunk on the shift-rod? Guess I'll know more when I get it apart.

Possibly unrelated, although quite the coincidence, the next day I went for a short 10 minute ride to the store and noticed the speedo and tach were no longer working. The needles bounce when I hit the kill switch, but aside from that they're both dead.

On a side note, the bike has been working so well, for so long, I was beginning to worry.

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took the cap of the master and squeezed the clutch a few times, good as old. Definitely need to do a flush. Shit looked like molasses.

·
Super Moderator
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,649 Posts
Yes, the nonfunctional tach and speedo are unrelated to the clutch issue. Does the temp and other icons still show in the LCD window? Do the instrument illumination bulbs work?
Have you checked the signal fuse yet?

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, everything else works. Signal fuse is good. I'm studying up on the speedo and tach in the service manual. I'm used to cables, but on the TLR it's all electronic. I'm guessing there's a sensor somewhere. What I'm curious about is if the speedo and tach run off the same wiring? Must be some relation since they both went at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,649 Posts
...... What I'm curious about is if the speedo and tach run off the same wiring? Must be some relation since they both went at the same time.
Well, I can't say for sure without doing some studying of my own. They certainly don't use the same sensors, but maybe they are both "enabled" by the ECM in some way.

The speedo sensor senses the high points on the castellated fixture on the end of the countershaft. The sensor goes directly to the instrument cluster.

The tach is driven by a signal from the ECM after the crank position signal is divided and deciphered.

I'm sure JoE. could have it fixed in one sentence. :)

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
the slave cylinder on the R is a diabolically badly designed unit.
SV has a neat external crap cover that fits on it.
strip the slave and clean it.
fit the SV external cover at the same time
the slave has an internal spring which can result in air being drawn past the seal

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...SV has a neat external crap cover that fits on it...
Already on there. Plus it's in my seals guide, so one of you must have suggested it way back when :thumbup

Auto part Wheel Brake Tire Vehicle brake

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So.... um.... yeah.... Speedo and Tach are working again. No idea why. I didn't do anything to it. Had to zip somewhere in hurry this morning, so I fired the bike up and everything was working again. Guess I'll file it in the same folder as the hissing gas cap mystery.

I pulled the cap off the clutch master, pumped the lever a few times and got some bubbles as expected. I put the cap back on and haven't had any sluggishness since. I'm definitely changing the fluid out in a few weeks, but for now the problem seems to be addressed.

CASE CLOSED

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.