TLZone Forums banner

TL1000R running issues

730 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Six5 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 tlr has twin brother racing c4 pipes for the first 2 months it worked awesome and pulled extremely hard recently I’m having issues the battery went dead I replaced it, it will fire up no problem but once it’s up to operating temperature and I turn it of it just whirls over won’t start it has a power commander 3 it used to work and light up now it’s not lit up and I checked the ground on the battery it’s good are the plugs fouled? how do I find the pc3 connections where are they located wondering if vibration made one come lose it’s got high kms (Canada) but it’s had a full rebuild 30k ago has 106k bike never gave me issues till now I’ve bypassed the kickstand switch with zipties and attached it to the frame

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum driskTLR! (y)

I have a 2000 tlr has twin brother racing c4 pipes for the first 2 months it worked awesome and pulled extremely hard recently I’m having issues the battery went dead I replaced it, it will fire up no problem but once it’s up to operating temperature and I turn it off it just whirls over won’t start....
Once you get it started again (after it cools down), check the charging voltage at the battery terminals - both at idle and at 5000 rpm.
Then take the same measurements again once the engine and system have significantly warmed up - because stators, regulators, and fuse holders can fail as the temp increases.
If the battery is not charging properly - which is a common issue on a TL - then it won't keep a sufficient charge to start a TL, especially if it is a marginal starter to begin with.
Of course, there could be other problems, but the battery is a good place to start.

Let us know what numbers you get from the measurements.

it has a power commander 3 it used to work and light up now it’s not lit up and I checked the ground on the battery it’s good ..... how do I find the pc3 connections where are they located .......
If the PC3 is not illuminated as usual, that is a problem indicator.
Follow the wires coming out of the PC3. It connects to the TL's loom at the fuel injector sub-harness. Disconnect the PC3 to see if the engine will start in the OEM configuration.

.... I’ve bypassed the kickstand switch with zipties and attached it to the frame
This is an odd comment. Can you clarify please?
Are you saying that the Side Stand Switch (SSS) plunger is being held in the depressed position with zip ties? Then the switch assembly has been relocated and attached to the frame somewhere? :oops: If so, that is not a very reliable arrangement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.