TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm new to this site, but have 32 years experience on the street, 27 years at the dragstrip, and another 16 years on the track. This is my 3rd TL1000S.
It's a 98' with bent valves front cylinder... I picked it up this way with the intention of fixing it. ( I do my own wrenching ) I plan on keeping this bike hopefully. My other 2 were 97's and I regretted selling them. Well....I came across a 7,000 mile TL1000R engine for DIRT cheap. I've never owned an R model, but have had the pleasure of riding and thrashing some. I wasn't aware of the differences motor wise until I took a close look! What's the simplest way to do this? My thoughts are to go with the dual radiator set up, keep the S throttle bodies(the R motor came with throttle bodies), and then there's the cable/hydraulic clutch question. Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,348 Posts
Some people convert the R cases to the TLS configuration, not too difficult if you can drill/tap and able to keep oil galleries clear of swarf.

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/freque...-crankcases-tls-oil-cooler-configuration.html

Others put a T piece in the bottom rad hose and link in the TLR heat exchanger.

You have to use the TLS throttle inlet rubbers and your 98 loom might have a 2 pin connector for the Gear Position Switch, the TLR engine will be 3 Pin, again easy fix as the extra wire is just an earth that you can add.

·
15,348 Posts
The R engine has ever so slightly higher compression pistons (11.7:1 compared to 11.3:1) and 1mm extra lift on the inlet cams, besides that they are identical from a performance point of view. Maybe a couple of bhp but certainly not worth considering an engine swap as a performance upgrade.

Reactions: V2victim and Troy

·
15,348 Posts
All depends what year the S engine is, if it's the 97/98 with the 5 spring clutch, 2 wire GPS etc etc then the R engine is a better replacement as it's stronger and larger oil pump/crank drilled at each side for better oil circulation, bigger gearbox output shaft bearing, forged pistons :thumbup

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
it is a 97 model S, that is all i know, so i imagine it has all the standard 97 model s clutch and internals.
so its the R engine that has the better Forged pistons, bigger output shaft and the drilled crank ? sounds like a few advantages :devious

my R engine number is T504-108148 , what year does that make it :confused

i know you have gone over it all in other threads, but what is the exact list of needed changes for this R engine to fit, in a bullet type list ( thats not too much to ask is it sam in leymans terms hehe ) :laugh

thanks for the info sam , :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
so this R engine has more hp than the S engine too right? so this is a good upgrade?
It's more like the S frame is a good upgrade for the R motor.:laugh:laugh:laugh

Seriously though, it's an easy swap. I did however notice bugger all difference in performance.

Running the R oil cooler and S clutch was the easiest route in my opinion.

Reactions: V2victim

·
15,348 Posts
Thanks guys. The T piece is a no brainer...
Don't forget you need to weld on spigot to the S water pump cover too, unless you use the R cover (which points the main hose downwards) and an S shaped hose

·
15,348 Posts
No, just swap over theTLS throttle inlet rubbers and use the TLS throttle bodies

The TLR has the vented rear cam cover and kidney bottle and also the better thermostat body with the bypass hose back to the water pump and the temp gauge sensor in the better place, so use them if possible

Reactions: V2victim
1 - 20 of 24 Posts