TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents,
Just thought i'd run this past you guys before Me and my mate begine stripping like crazy, the gearbox from his 2001 TL1000R

This bike has done 25k he's owned it from new and has never skipped a beat, very reliable, however...

It has started to play up in fourth gear?

Sometimes you can select it fine and it jumps out of gear and other times you can't get fourth at all and have to skip past it to fifth.
in my ignorance, is this a gear selector? a worn 4th Gear cog?
It doesnt do this in any other gear apart from 4th.

Have been told that to open the engine up it means replacing the whole set of seals as well? assuming we find what the fault is.

so: has anyone else experienced this or ever split the gearbox, as it does seem a bit of a worrying prospect t this stage but unavoidable.

any advice on any of the above would be gratefully received,

thanks guys

·
Registered
29 Posts
hi there first drain the oil and check for excess fine swarf in the oil and attached to magnetic plug also check the selector mechanism which can be partially accessed by removing sprocket cover and a further cover under that. from inspecting these you should be able to determine where to go next. does it get worse when hot also raise back wheel and select gears by using your hand you can often feel a fault doing this check ball bearing in end of drum this helps locate each gear and as been known to stick on occasion

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
I ve just done one with a fourth gear jumping and its the dogs on the gear.

so there is 2 gears to replace the one with the dogs and the one it slides sideways in to .

the gearbox is about the last thing you get to when you strip the engine.

the whole thing has to come apart.

if you think you may struggle then PM Sam he's in york and makes the job look easy. ( its not!)

otherwise get the spanners out.

and the digital camera..........( take photos as you go)

and download the manual from wotid.com

Btw this is a good opportunity to tidy up a few other things internally while you have the chance.

seals bearings clutchcentre late model oil pump etc. valve jobbie

·
Registered
4,873 Posts

·
Registered
4,873 Posts

·
Registered
4,873 Posts

I think this was 3rd gear not sure but you can see where there worn , hooe this helps .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts