TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys im new to the forum but plan on sticking around.

So im 26 years old and been wanting a bike for as long as i can remember. Every time i see you guys riding it just looks so amazing. I've never rode on any kind of bike, well besides bmx in my life. I'm good with manual cars and atv's though im assuming thats nothing like a sports bike. But i do have the jist of shifting, taking off and all that good stuff. But anyways my buddy is in some legal troubles and offered to sell his beautiful black and white 2000 suzuki tl1000. Said theres absolutly no problems besides it needs a little paint touch up. And he said he will get rid of it for $1,000. I guess its worth about $3,000? So i got the chance to FINALLY ride. I know how powerful and dangerous these beasts are, especially this one. I just dont see how this would be so dangerous compared to other bikes as long as i respect the shit out of it and know it will kill me if i dont, literally. Im not planning on racing, doing tricks or anything like that, i just want to ride. At least until i get comfortable and skilled enough to feel safe, well ur never safe but u know what i mean. Im planning on taking a riding class and getting good gear but i need to buy the bike asap if i want this deal. What are your guys experianced opinions about the price and this being my first bike? Btw im 6'3" 210lbs and ****ing love TL's already, drooling just thinking about it...

Almost forgot :fooku

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Be careful...

I am a just little older than you and basically your size and this thing will lift the front wheel pretty easily even without the clutch.

I took a riding course and grew into this bike. 250cc dirt bike, 500cc ninja, and now my TL, and still I respect it like crazy. I have been riding for almost 15 years now and just got my TL at 29.

Do you have access to anything less rowdy? Saying you have the "jist" of shifting, just isn't enough. Heck, a bad shift on a 250 and you can get in trouble. A little throttle and a clutch pop on the TL and it will flip right out from under you. Within a couple seconds and maybe only third gear and you can easily be over 100mph...

It sounds like a great deal, so get it if you want, but it is NOT a beginner bike. PERIOD. Just my thoughts. Keep us posted...

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Welcome. A TL is a helluva place to start learning to ride a bike. You can drive so you've got some road awareness which is a good start. You are taking training which is another plus. The biggest piece of advice I can offer is , "Take it easy". Stuff will happen much quicker on a bike than in a car and Big twins with lazy sounding motors are particularly bad for lulling you into a false sense of security. The motor sounds like its just ticking over and you find you are doing 90mph and wondering how you got there. These things will do 70 in 1st gear so if you don't respect them they can bite. The flip-side is that if you get your head where it needs to be they are a lot of fun.
Is this an S or an R by the way? The R is not a real wheelie monster and since you are effectively a learner you don't want to be looking to go everywhere on one wheel anyway.

Keep in mind you are 26 and probably want to see 27 and it will temper your enthusiasm enough to get to grips with the thing.

After that just ride it. Like anything good riding come with practice so just put the miles on and you'll be laughing. This place is here to help with any technical issues you may have and once the modification bug bites we're here for that too.

You got a picture of the beastie?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Welcome matey, and congrats on bagging yourself a bargain. Forget the figures compared to modern bikes, the bike you have whether the S or R is a seriously fast bike, the motor lets you access almost all of the power all the way through the rev range. One other thing, don't just enjoy the riding, enjoy the adventure of personalising your bike, some great experience here and they are always willing to help. KEEP SAFE.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yah. Pictures.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im going to check it out tomorrow after work so ill take pics then. I want to take it for a test ride but my gear is on the way and i dont have it yet, and im taking the riding class next week, so maybe not a good idea lol? So tempting though, Ive been waiting to ride for years just now finally got the chance to. Im in the Chicago suburbs so there is some "back roads" if you want to call them that. rxf610 no i dont have access to anything smaller. The only reason im getting this tl is cause the price, or i would start with something smaller, maybe lol. You mean a clutch pop like not a smooth shift right? I hear these beasts are known to do wheelies when you dont want them to... How do i avoid that? Will a bad downshift send me into an instant wheelie or take the bike from right under me?

Honestly i dont know much at all about riding. I been watching a lot of youtube videos but nothing compares to hands on experiance. Like it goes from 1st gear, neutral, to 2nd gear? That part confused me, like why would it be like that... I dont see how this bike will be so much different learning on than any other bike besides the raw speed and power. Or is it all together that much harder to handle and control? Also i hear turning is hard to get used to, especially at slow speeds? I dont want to do anything crazy i just want to ride and have fun. As long as i learn the fundaments, start out slow and gain confidence... Cause you will kill yourself on any bike if you dont respect it. Thanks guys for the welcome and tips. You tl lovers seem like good people. If you guys have any good general tips for a beginner id love to hear them. Im trying to learn everything i can and i know a lot of you have a ton on experiance, and nothing can beat that. Wils is that your bike in your avatar? SO badass.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
70 in first gear haha gaw damn thats insane. I cant even imagine the rush....
I hit 60 on my atv and thought i was gonna die lol

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
At that price, just get it.

Bring it to a large parking lot and cruise around in first gear for a while. Do you have any friends that ride that can show you the ropes?

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Do you not have to have compulsory training and have to take a test over there to get the licence needed.
as others have said take it easy, I went from a ts100 to a gsx750 back in 1981 and survived to tell the tale.

·
Registered
495 Posts
In California, you take a test and get a permit. After that, you can acquire a license. Once you have license in hand, you are allowed to ride any motorcycle you'd like.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Well, you failed to mention the riding test to "acquire a license" unless you take the course...in CAL it's their own program, in Illinois it's the free MSF beginning rider course. In Illinois they use income from motorcycle license plates to fund the MSF classes. You pay $10 for a reservation, and if you show up on time for the first class you get your $10 back. In Cal you pay a lot more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A little delayed but i got the bike and she's beautiful. It was sitting for 2 years so i changed the gas out, new battery and plugs and i was able to push start it. It runs amazing but the starter button doesn't work. I don't do electrical so i brought it to a shop. He called me today and said he needs to order a starter assembly which is $180? Also said there's a broken wire he needs to trace down. Not sure what to think but this sounds like its gonna be one damn expensive fix... Ugh i just want to ride

·
Registered
9 Posts
You bought yourself an awesome bike. It goes as fast as YOU want it to go, although a little too much twist of the wrist can be a problem. I always suggest to first timers on a superbike to bend the wrist slightly down before taking hold of the throttle, lessens the chances of unexpectedly giving too much twist. It might not be the fastest bike out there but it has insane throttle response. Take it easy, get comfy and enjoy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts