TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi guys

I'm new here, you certainly seem to know your stuff - I hope you can help

I used to race a tl1000s in 2001 and after racing riding on UK roads just doesnt get the same adrenalin rush - plus FAR too many unmarked rozzers and speed cameras.

So I was sat at home the other day wondering what crazy shite to build next (done loads of streetfighters etc) and found a soft tail chop frame and as we all know the TL engine is one of the best V twin made, well I love it, so got a low mileage engine form evilbay (£225).

Now the easy thing is to buy ecu, loom throttle bodies etc BUT i dont like to take the easy option......so I want to avoid ecu (for no performance reason at all but just for the hell of it) and go carbs. The trouble is I'm not too hot on designing electic circuit

Here's were my knowledge ends !!!!!!1111

Assuming the engine produces a low voltage signal that tells the ecu where abouts on the crankshaft is (firing signal) - is there any way I can take that signal and shove it into a coil??

Any clever chaps out there? - I guess the answer will be stop being so stupid and go buy an ECU

Thanks in advance for any constructive critisism or assistance

Nugget

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Hello and Welcome :bigfinger

The carbs side of it has been done before and is do-able, the US flat track guys do it.

The ignition is where it gets complicated, if you aren't confident in electrics then you're in for some serious pain........

If you want to keep it simple and end up with a lovely engine that is smooth, rides well, and has the same power as stock, then you really need to keep it stock, so much easier aswell.

Loosing the airbox will also loose a good chunk of power, forget K&N Cone filters, they don't work.

Be aware that most TL engines on ebay (especially the ones that say "Bought as a Spare" or "Never Heard it Run") are likely to have damaged gearbox's or spun crank bearings......

Lastly you need to be pay a small contribution and become a subscriber before you can buy/sell on TLZone or you're thread will be editted or removed :devious (Keeps the scammers at bay and you get 24/7 TL help for free)

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Might be able to adapt a carbed SV650 ignition system to the TL engine :dunno

·
Registered
623 Posts
Welcome :bigfinger

Good luck with the chop!

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
There's been a few flat-trackers photo'd here that run carbs, and there's a guy with a US hill-climber that I thought ran carbs too :confused try the search function a little :)

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
any optical or hall effect system designed to replace the points on a car could be adapted.

but the ecu route is easier and works!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts