TLZone Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 issues, which I believe are both related to 1 problem...

1. The main, constant problem...
My TLR's engine does not usually start up unless I unplug at least one of the head lights.

2. Not a constant problem, but can be consistent...
While riding, the engine doesn't seem to want to run and sometimes even stalls if I let off the throttle. It seems to do it for a few days, then everything seems to return to normal (except for the starting issue).

I'm assuming this must be a charging issue.

I have replaced:
-battery (new)
-regulator (new)
-inner, wired part of stator (used, from an extra motor)

Fully charged, the battery will crank the motor over on start-up, no problem. I believe the stator is good b/c I put a voltage meter to the battery while the engine was running and it showed 13.8 volts, but admittedly I don't know a lot about electronics.

Could a bad wire somewhere be discharging the battery? If so, where? And how do I hunt it down?

Thanks!

·
Moderator,
8,227 Posts
Click here and do a bit of reading. That should put you on the right track for nailing down the problem. :thumbup

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
The spliced connection inside the wiring harness, between the starter relay & the ignition can be a source of issues.
The 13.8V suggests the charging system is actually working properly but you may be intermittently having problems associated with that connection.
The connector plug at the starter relay is also another problematic one: inspect the quality of the connector for signs of corrosion or arcing and if necessary follow this modification to bypass the connector.
(For both of these you can alternatively connect the bypass source wires to the input to the starter realy - the connection that the positive wire from the battery is connected to - electrically the same, that is just a convenience to make future disconnections of the battery simpler without having to disturb those connections).
You can do the charging system wiring mod to connect the output of the R/R directly to the battery which should give you improved and consistent charging.
You can also do a headlight-cut-while-starting mod, either by this method or this one.
Lastly - on the new battery - was it sufficiently conditioned, fully charged off-line before installation?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks! I don't have time to mess with it right now, but I'll probably get around to it next week. I'll let y'all know how it turns out...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts