TLZone Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all,

I have been having an issue with my bike since I made some modifications last week and have tried many known issues to try and fix the issue. Id like some help for some better experienced people with TLs to try and help me solve my problem.

Problem :
Bike will start up perfectly, Bike will idle at 1.5-2k Perfectly. Bike will warm up to 70-80degrees with no issue. Bike will go around the block once (approx 3-400 yards) with no issues, usual power in gears and past 3k revs as usual. I then can stop the bike for 5 mins and when I try going around the block again and it is now at this point that the bike will cough and stutter and provide no real power to the engine after 3k revs (I have a video showing how it sounds, but unsure if I can post it on here).

Changes I made last week before problem :
Sunday I upgraded the suspension to the R1 rear unit, replaced 1yr old regular sparks with new Iridiums, Replaced 8 month old fuel filter element (the gold cone thing) with a new one, Fiddled with the Idle switch down by the engine as the weather is getting a bit colder now, replaced rear exhaust gasket as it was making a horrible Bang at 4.5k revs when over 70degrees for months, replaced break pads.
After doing all this, and bike running fine, the return fuel pipe split and pissed fuel all over the engine. I took off the Tank (turned upside down) and removed airbox to get to the return fuel pipe and replaced this with a new pipe line, making sure it wasnt too long so their are No Kinks in it at all.
Bike was holding fuel and running fine (or so it seemed), I gave the bike a pressure wash in a DIY car wash round the corner. Bike got to the car wash and back with no issues. I then went to the petrol station (3-400 yards down the road) later on that evening and it was only after i put £5 of fuel in (didnt wanna fill up incase pipe was not on correctly so was testing it) the bike then began the coughing and lack of power issue.

What I have checked/re-checked:
Triple checked all pipes are connected, flowing, no kinks, splits or leaks.
Triple checked fuel filter and new element to make sure no shit in filter, and making sure filter was put together correctly.
Taken new spark plugs out and put old one back in
Spark plug leads have been checked, cut back to remove any corrosion and put back on
Fuel pump checked and pressure checked - Peaks at 50psi then drops down to 40psi.
Fuel pump starting up pumps out approx 26-28ml in that 3 seconds turning on.
Throttle linkage is clear and moving with no issues and nothing blocking it
TPS set to 1500rpm to 1.1vdv (dont know what this means, my mechanic friend wrote it on the list of things weve done)
Throttle bodies balanced and running fine at 1.5k and 3k (before we took round the block and starting having the problem again)

The areas my friend suspects it could be are :
Coils,
TPS,
Injectors
General Electrics.

One of the reasons i havnt touched Injectors yet is because the fuel pump, filter, and pre-filter (that lil tea bag thing before pump) were brand new in March, a good brand aswell and there is no shit showing up on the new filter element when ive had the bike running and idling for half hour, so how would any shit get through if its a new element, fitted correctly, and no signs of crap in the element itself

I know ive written down a lot of information, but im not sure if something small ive done or changed could have caused the problem without me having any clue, so I decided to write a step by step of my process over the last 2 weeks just in case it matters to someone who may know the problem.

Changing coils, TPS and Injectors will start costing money that is very limited to me at the moment as with most people, covid has f**ked up my income and funds are extremely short, plus i have a 6 week old new born to now care for. My transport is very important to me and my job, so needs to be fixed, but cant afford to just replace Everything in the hopes it might fix the probem.

If anyone could please give me their thoughts, opinions an advice. I'm Based in the UK in case thats of any importance to anyone.

Thank You :)

·
Premium Member
6,905 Posts
1. Fill in your profile so we know where in the UK you are. Me, my workshop or any other knowledgeable member might be just around the corner.
2. What the f**k is a "gold cone thing" the fuel filter is a big canister inside the fuel tank unless you have an external one fitted. Piccies please.
3. Filters can still be blocked for a higher flow, like when more fuel is needed, and operate ok at lower demands.
4. Coils could be breaking down when they get hot.
5. Under the right hand upper fairing panel, the one covering the radiator overflow bottle, are a collection of connectors which get corroded and cause problems. Pull them all out and scrub them clean and if possible use some dielectric grease when you put them back together.
6. Check the voltage at the battery with the bike running, you are looking for over 13v with all the electrics switched on. (might have to blip the throttle a couple of times, tick over should be 1200rpm)
7. Have you downloaded the workshop manual from

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Fill in your profile so we know where in the UK you are. Me, my workshop or any other knowledgeable member might be just around the corner.
2. What the f**k is a "gold cone thing" the fuel filter is a big canister inside the fuel tank unless you have an external one fitted. Piccies please.
3. Filters can still be blocked for a higher flow, like when more fuel is needed, and operate ok at lower demands.
4. Coils could be breaking down when they get hot.
5. Under the right hand upper fairing panel, the one covering the radiator overflow bottle, are a collection of connectors which get corroded and cause problems. Pull them all out and scrub them clean and if possible use some dielectric grease when you put them back together.
6. Check the voltage at the battery with the bike running, you are looking for over 13v with all the electrics switched on. (might have to blip the throttle a couple of times, tick over should be 1200rpm)
7. Have you downloaded the workshop manual from

Hi mate, thanks for the reply!
Ive only just joined and posted straight away so ill get on the profile info asap :)
Im still learning the names of parts so bare with me haha, its the Fuel Filter Element I think its called,

This is the Fuel Filter i used when doing the Mod in March:

This is the replacement element i used last week:

Coils is something im looking at replacing next, just need to be really careful with funds so trying to only buy parts that I NEED, hence asking for advice first.
There is no front fairing on the bike at all, the electrics have been tidied up and taped together as neat as possible and tucked to the right hand side of the Air box (using black electrical tape i think). I have a mate who knows about TL's who has been helping me with the bike, but even he is stumped at this point

I personally dont have the manual, but my TL friend has it all, and the checks we were doing the other day (fuel pressure ect) he was going through the manual to make sure everything is correct.
Ill download the manual on to my laptop when i can aswell ( at work at the moment )

·
Premium Member
6,905 Posts
Would I be correct in saying the bike is new to you?

Do you mean the bike is now naked with no fairings? Street fighter style? - put up some pictures.

having the connectors all taped up with plastic electrical tape is not a good idea. It will get shabby, start to come undone and create a gooey mess.

So where are the connections that are too short to be placed under the tank? Have they been extended or taped up elsewhere?

If you definitely, absolutely have to use tape use the cloth type not the plastic...............
this type of stuff.................

better still or as well as use sleeves like this..........

Or the corrugated stuff or the spiral wrap stuff or a mix of all 3.

I see no flow rate on those listings, some of those filters cannot maintain or reach a big enough flow rate. Just because that size filter was on it before does not mean it is good enough.

As for the coils, maybe you will be near enough to someone to borrow a set to check with before buying.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts