TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps,

I haven't had much time to post on these forums as of late, being that I am in my final year of (aircraft) engineering; as part of of my final year project I have wanted to design and fabricate a universal engine stand for the assembly/disassembly processes of engines and/or parts. Obviously within our industry they are many different types of engine architecture(s) each with it's own set of physical traits, so implementing some kind of consideration for these into the engineering design is key to success. I would like to manufacture these stands at some point in the near future for other people to benefit.

In the meantime I am in need of some rough dimensions and weight figures, these include the TL-S/R, '1200's and anything else you may have at your disposal:):

1. What is the weight of the engine with and without the injection system fitted? Is the weight the same between TL-S and R models?

2. What are the overall length, width and height dimensions from the maximal (furthest) points?

tlengine photoshop.jpg

3. Personal requirements and/or experiences?

Thanks for the input guys and girls.

Patrick

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Conceptually what you are doing is a nice idea. Would not a regular hydraulic workbench with a set of adjustable mounts to simulate the various engine mount points be simpler to fabricate? There's a fairly well defined subset of basic bike engine shapes; V-twin, inline 2/3/4/6, single and transverse V-twin (yes CX500 and Guzzi owners, that means you!). Within those forms the points where the bolts go through doesn't tend to vary dramatically so the range of adjustment wouldn't have to be enormous. You could perhaps even include some kind of gimbal mount allowing you to rotate or even invert the motor whilst its being worked on.

I expect Ring-in already has one in his garage. :laugh

BTW TL motor is approx 75kg or thereabouts. I wonder if I could still lift in on my own without my spine popping?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi the hydraulic idea is something I have considered but increases complexity and price; which is how I have to approach this project: simple, rugged, intuitive, effective and inexpensive.

The aim is to have easy and secure, lockable rotation.

What size bolts does the TL use on the engine mounts?

Patrick

·
Moderator,
8,227 Posts
Instead of a whole stand, why not make an adapter that works with an existing, rotating engine stand like those use for car engines? No use reinventing the wheel. It's also cheaper and more likely to be purchased by someone like myself that already has several such stands in the garage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input; unfortunately these types of engine stands generally only offer one axis of movement, which is not always ideal to servicing and work/bench testing an engine, something that I am adding into my own design. I could also get stung by certain licensing fees associated with the implementation of my product into an existing design, at this moment in time such a solution would be impractical.

In any case, I still need dimensions :)

What size bolts does the engine use?

Thanks!

Patrick

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
10 and 12mm.

its an interesting project..........

the real need in this project is a jig which enables half of the engine to be held while the components are loaded into it.

A stand for a closed case is simple and can be just a pair of adjustable arms.

solve that one and you have a winner.

I expect Ring-in already has one in his garage.
had :banghead

its still hanging off hefty's fighter engine on his bike bench :doh

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is the length of the engine?

I need this information as I do not have a TL motor at my disposal.

Thanks!

Patrick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts