TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why not use the rear brake to control the fan switch for the fan switch mod, bit more wiring but when your sitting at the red light it kicks on, the time when you need it with no manual intervention?

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Why not use the rear brake to control the fan switch for the fan switch mod, .....
Who keeps a foot on the rear brake? :O It wouldn't work for me.

I much prefer a lower temp fan switch, or just a manual override switch.

Still, if it were done properly, either brake switch could activate it, because the front switch is in parallel with the rear switch. However, without really diving into it, I think you will need to add an additional switch to activate the fans, because the existing brake switch connects power to the light bulb - the bulb being the load. The bulb has a hardwired ground connection.

Whereas, with the fans, the load is always connected to power , and the switch connects the load to chassis ground.

A relay would likely be the best option.

Let us know how it goes if you do it. :devious

·
Moderator,
8,227 Posts
Yep, the manual fan switch is the way to go. Much easier to bump it with a thumb than to keep a foot on the rear brake.

·
Premium Member
6,855 Posts
Why not use the rear brake to control the fan switch for the fan switch mod, bit more wiring but when your sitting at the red light it kicks on, the time when you need it with no manual intervention?

nah! what about when it is cold outside and you have your foot on the brake? - if you want it sort of automatic fit a lower value fan temp switch...............

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Seconding Ted here. Change the temp sensor if you want your fans kicking in earlier.

Not that it will make much difference the way the climate is going. I hear there is an exodus of TL owners from Cambridge right now. :laugh

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I was referring to the record temperature recorded in Cambridge last week. Of all the bikes you wouldn't want to ride in 38C plus heat I'd put the TLR well up the list. At this rate, give it a few years and we'll all be enjoying viewing the Orangutans in the rain forests of Glasgow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I'm a big dirtbiker we use the rear break a lot which then transitions to my street riding. So I may use my rear in combination with my front then most. Attaching it the rear break is a concentration free way of doing it. My thighs are roasting in stop and go.

·
Premium Member
6,855 Posts
Well I'm a big dirtbiker we use the rear break a lot which then transitions to my street riding. So I may use my rear in combination with my front then most. Attaching it the rear break is a concentration free way of doing it. My thighs are roasting in stop and go.

Then I suggest you ignore our advice and go for it....................

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
I have the manual switch, still too hot. I got water wetter to see how that will do.
So you have a manual switch, which in my opinion would be simpler to use than a brake pedal mounted switch which you only use when stopped or are infact braking, but it is still too hot.
Just fit a 95`c fan switch and be done with it. Couldn't be easier. It will always turn the fan on before the engine gets too hot.
Both my TLs's have one fitted. Couldn't be easier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts