TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have been the owner of a 97 TLS for about two weeks. So I got the TPS calibrated, synched the throttle bodies, etc., and she went in for a dyno run or two and some remapping, etc.:)

First run, and apparently all was fine until around 8000rpm. At this point the revs suddenly started to drop off and the engine gound to a shuddering stop. :confused
Attempts to start would not turn the motor. Left to cool off and motor started fine but there is some intermittent knocking and clacking (not loud or all the time) coming from the clutch side lower crankcase area.
Dropped the (black as coal) oil and found some copper particles. Looks like bearing, shells or some such, there may also be problems with the timing gear and crankcases apparently.:bawling

I going to have to have the motor completely rebuilt but that's life I guess.

Anyway, If any one has ANY engine bits that you think I might need I will gladly buy them off you (at Suzuki prices it looks like I might have to put off retiring until I'm around 85!)

Doc

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Copper bits in the oil = Big End :bawling :banghead

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Check with Fiche, he may have some parts and is on your side of the ocean.
Sorry about the bad luck

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beaza said:
Copper bits in the oil = Big End :bawling :banghead
Yep, sounds about right, but I think there might be crank damage too:(

- anyway not to worry, I'm just off to kill myself:bawling

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
sorry to hear...but if you rebuild it and want to get rid of your junk crank and rods, etc, let me know :devious

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
doh.... sorry to hear that dude.....the dyno can be a bitch. as ryno said. when you pull it apart and find whats gone pop. give fiche man a pm. he usually has plenty of bit about.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a 97 tls motor that I pulled out of the bike cause I thought it was blown. It ran but just smoked and I really wanted a R motor. If interested let me know

·
Registered
909 Posts
Sorry to hear about the new bike there, i not able to help out on much there with parts, but there is always the online parts locator for bikes.

http://www.part-locator.co.uk/

Give them a shot when you know what ya need, free to use, and all breakers call you, so costs ya nothin to get listing the parts ya need. I used it alot for many bikes, and always had a good result, even parts can come with warrenty also.

Bout the best i can offer, any ways where did ya get that dyno done ?, maybe i should avoid them lol, J/K.

If ya after some real help from a some what local place, goto aprilla motorsport in dorset, man you want someone who knows about TL thats the place, m8 goes there for rebuilds, and frame swaps all the time lol, Just tell them mathew sent ya, and they will do you a real deal, even on dyno's, if he forgot me, just say ivons old bike owner :)

Cant recommend them enough, they are the dogs when it comes to the TLS, honest.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I get trade prices as I work for a Motorcycle shop part time in Leeds if you find out whats gone wrong let me know and I'll get you some prices.

W

·
0 Posts
i have got a good 1998 TLS engine, 30.000kms, all fine. 500 EUR and it's yours if you're willing to come and pick it up in belgium :O :)

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Wreckah to the rescue! :thumbup

:)

W

·
0 Posts
:laugh

it's in my way to be honest, that's why it's pretty cheap :) all the parts of my TLS are flying out the door (locally, i don't feel like packing and sending 1000's of boxes right now :D )

and mr. phibes can have a beer or two while he's here, it's starting to become a tradition in Ghent :laugh

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
wreckah said:
mr. phibes can have a beer or two while he's here, it's starting to become a tradition in Ghent :laugh
thats Dr Phibes to you young sir.. i doubt he went to evil medical school for 5 years to be called Mr...

:laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh

:thumbup

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow!!
Thank you SO much for the responses, suggestions, and offers guys - you have made me feel a lot better just knowing there are people out there willing to help where they can.:)

I'm going to stick with my regular guy/workshop for the rebuild (although it was his dyno that killed my TL!!), he is, though, one of the few mechs I know and trust with my bike (fool that I am!:crazy )

As soon as he's got it stripped and we know whats what I will get in contact. In the mean time please do let me know of any more suggestions/advice or bits you got

Again, thanks to you all so very much.

Doc

W

·
0 Posts
:blush sorry, that's Dr. Phibes then! :hail :laugh :laugh

just gimme a yell if you need anything! :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:laugh wreckah, if I need the motor will I get a discount now??? :) :) :laugh

wreckah said:
:blush sorry, that's Dr. Phibes then! :hail :laugh :laugh

just gimme a yell if you need anything! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts