TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like a good idea to me; how come I can't find any? I'd love to save weight in that location, and they don't seem all that difficult to make.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Casidiam-coated titanium wrist pins. Only for racing??

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I found some caoted titanium pins for about $200. That's why they're not more popular, just plain expensive.

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
Great idea, but I'm guessing that because Titanium is bad with fretting, they would need to be replaced often, so not good in a street motor.

Same reason it's not the best material for axles and that the good Ti axles are always coated to slow this process.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems Ti wrist pins work OK if you have them coated properly with this really hard thin stuff, which makes it last very well but further adds to the cost. For $100 a pin you too can reduce the recirocating mass without compromising the strength of your pistons.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Pro MX teams are said to use Ti wrist pins (this was back in the two stroke days, don't know about the thumpers), there was a company selling them for a while, but I haven't seen their adds for the past few years:O

Seems a good idea to me, I'm all for saving weight, esp recip weight.

BTW most all MX teams and a lot of amatures use Ti axles and swingarm pivots (well at least till manufactures got the bikes down to AMA min's in stock form).

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
I didn't say people didn't use them, I just said the good ones are coated, like yoyodyne's are TiNitride coated, but they are also $375 each, other places sell them uncoated for around $200.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I had some titanium wrist pins, tho its alot better now without them :O

:devious So what are you guys actually talking about? :laugh

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
:devious So what are you guys actually talking about? :laugh
:laugh When I 1st saw the title I thought that. He's talking about gudgeon pins. The ones through the piston and little end on the con rod.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
:laugh When I 1st saw the title I thought that. He's talking about gudgeon pins. The ones through the piston and little end on the con rod.
I thought he'd come off his bike & busted his wrists & got some pins inserted. Just to be a show off ya know. Look at my bling:devious :devious

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I bet that this is one component where steel will actually yield a lighter better component...especially w/ the size of our pistons.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bet that this is one component where steel will actually yield a lighter better component...especially w/ the size of our pistons.
Why? Hardness or rigidity? Coated titanium ones seem to be getting popular in drag racing, of course that's not exactly an endurance test.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Just a bet based on relative strength compared to some of the exotic steels...I guess there is room for a wall thickness increase on our pins which could take advantage of titanium's properties.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts