TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question is: What difference does a decade of tire technology make?

I just bought a 1997 TLS all original including the tires with 2400 miles (Metzeler Me Z1)...so the rubber is 10 years old.

A buddy has a 2000 TLS, modified and a brand new dual compound rear. Physically, we are the same size at 6'4", 220.

We both have a bit of racing in our background, so we rode a local canyon pretty hard (perfect road/track conditions and certainly at my limits). He's been in the canyon for 2 years, it was my first time...he set the pace.)
We both held the road great, used the whole tire on all corners and at the end, both rears looked like "track day" tires. The only difference is that mine was balling rubber a bit on the edges and his wasn't. (He's probably a bit smoother on the throttle with TLS experience.)
I'm not a poser telling you I'm Ricky Racer the Unbeatable, but that was a pretty hard ride at about 90% - Not something I plan to do daily and live to tell about it.

Honestly, I was amazed at the performance of the decade old rubber...but I have to assume that a decade of further development has improved tires quite a bit.

So, what can I expect from a new Michelin Pilot Power 2CT when I get it? Improved feel? Better wear? Better grip? More lean angle? What?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
get you some new pilot powers.....i love mine....

i would think that those original tires are hard as hell and need to be replaced asap!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Almost forgot tire pressure: He was running 36/36 per the manual. I was running 28/28....What pressure does everyone use for hard riding/track days?

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
You should have swapped bikes in order to truely compare!

·
14,150 Posts
Bimati said:
Almost forgot tire pressure: He was running 36/36 per the manual. I was running 28/28....What pressure does everyone use for hard riding/track days?
Per what manual? The bikes manual? Hopefully not. Remember that if he's changed to different tires then what the manual says may not be ideal for those tires.

Try running 36/36 with Michelin Pilot Power Race tires on the track.:coocoo

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
don't use 10 year old tires. You will put yourself on the ground without a doubt. Happened to someone I know at the track earlier this year. He wasn't going very hard at all and the bike went out from underneath him. The tires were glazed. It was on 4 year old Michelin Pilot Sports on a 02 Honda 600RR.

·
14,150 Posts
gixxerjasen -> :bitchslap <- LiononaLeash

You've got a brand new kickass bike, georgous weatehr and your sitting in front of the computer? :O

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Yeah, tires do get worse with time. A 10 year old tire is going to be pretty bad no matter the technology in it. For example, if you had a brand new M1 and a technically identicle 10 year old M1, the new one would stick drastically better.

have fun:thumbup

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
You should definitely try a modern tyre. You will never go back.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
181 Posts
From the ten years old Metzler to the newest generation of sporting tyres? I think it will give You more pleasure than Öhlins and Racetec in one step! I felt worlds between a slightly older Avon and the Pirelli Diablo. But don't expect too much, as You know, feelings often depend on the expectancy. But i think the difference will be amazing! I would not ride with such old tyres.

·
Registered
138 Posts
New pilot powers. Aahhh nothing better......

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I think my question was answered yesterday in the canyon riding hard.
Most riders on 1000cc V-twins with new, sticky rubber. Me with the original Metzeler ME Z1's. Their tires showed some good hard use and were nicely textured. Mine turned to dust. Funny thing is, the guy behind me hopped off his bike saying, "Damn, the bugs are terrible. I'm gettin' peppered." Had a good laugh when we discovered that I had been strafing him with tiny chunks of rubber.
Set of Pilot Power 2CT's on the way from my buddies at AbsoluteCP.com!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
and you rode on that???????:eek:mg

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
You'll be amazed how good new tires feel.
I wouldn't push any tire over two or three years old max

1 - 14 of 14 Posts