TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think I found my answer about tire plugs. After putting that so called "special" plug in the front tire last week I finally got to take the bike out today. I was out for about an hour and on my way back home, a mile away from my house, going around a corner at 60 or so my front tire deflated. Luckily for me I knew what was happening and got the bike to a stop with out any problems. Once I got the bike home I inspected the tire and found that half the plug had ripped out of the tire and would not take any air. Lesson learned for me I guess, don't be cheap, be safe.:rant

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
What style plug was it? I have heard (ok, I read about it) of some being cut up by steel bands in the tires. :O

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Patch from the inside.Also when plugging you have to trim the pluG right down on outside.I have had great luck with plugs myself.My last flat i used tire slime.That worked perfect,Way better than fix a flat

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
ive used countless plugs never had any problems. :O

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Outside plug with mushroom end. Shop dude drilled a hole in my tire and shot plug in with his so called "special" gun, told me tire was like new.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
im not even using those fancy ones... just the normal car tire ones and i put them in myself. just bad luck, stick another one in and see how it goes...

·
Moderator,
5,038 Posts
My mushroom plug was installed from the inside, with lashings of glue to ensure adhesion, I think your man must have been in a hurry.
Find another tyre man I think :yes

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Posh Johnny said:
My mushroom plug was installed from the inside, with lashings of glue to ensure adhesion, I think your man must have been in a hurry.
Find another tyre man I think :yes
+1

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hear in Australia Plugs are illegal in sum states because of a couple or problems

The tire can Rapidly deflate if the plug fails

The tire can delaminate if the inside seal of the plug fails
While the outside of the tire remains sealed

Damage caused to the steal belt can lead to rapid tire failure

So the jury is out to lunch on whether plugs are good or bad.
Nobody is denying plugs are a good tempery fix
But there is a definite risk they will kill you next time you go for a fang

So plugging the rear tire of a commuter is fairly safe
And plugging the front tire for track days or sum hi speed fun is just nuts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Well you can get a flat with a new tire

been using plugs for years & will still use plugs. A new tire can Rapidly deflate if it gets a hole in it :coocoo . So quit riding if your that paranoid about your tires .

pad said:
Hear in Australia Plugs are illegal in sum states because of a couple or problems

The tire can Rapidly deflate if the plug fails

The tire can delaminate if the inside seal of the plug fails
While the outside of the tire remains sealed

Damage caused to the steal belt can lead to rapid tire failure

So the jury is out to lunch on whether plugs are good or bad.
Nobody is denying plugs are a good tempery fix
But there is a definite risk they will kill you next time you go for a fang

So plugging the rear tire of a commuter is fairly safe
And plugging the front tire for track days or sum hi speed fun is just nuts

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Never used one, never will. good tires are cheap insurance and the only thing in contact with the road.

·
Registered
600 Posts
wsmc831 said:
Never used one, never will. good tires are cheap insurance and the only thing in contact with the road.
So your saying new tires can't go flat :coocoo :laugh
Thats stupid, I never said to patch a bald tire . & When I replace tires I replace them in sets

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
beet said:
So your saying new tires can't go flat :coocoo :laugh
Thats stupid, I never said to patch a bald tire . & When I replace tires I replace them in sets
I believe I said I have never patched a tire and never will, understand? I don't believe in patches as it's just one more possible point of failure, and new tires are cheap in comparison to problems, HENCE, if I get a flat I throw the tire away.

congratulations on changing tires in sets and apparently having balls big enough to ride on patched tires, the rest of us mere mortals who don't are very impressed.

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
Don't throw them away any more. Write my name down somewhere and next time your tire gets a hole in it I will buy it from you.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:stupid

I'd go broke in short order if I didn't plug tires. I think every rear street tire I've had has ended up with a plug or two before halfway done with its useful life.

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
Speaking of getting rid of broken stuff. What are you doing with your old motor Chuck?

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Extender said:
Speaking of getting rid of broken stuff. What are you doing with your old motor Chuck?

I can't toss it out -I guess I would rebuild it. Why you looking for a project motor?

Well I try not to hijack threads so let me add that I use those $3 car plugs to plug my stuff too. As long as it is a puncture, if it is a slash then I replace.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts