TLZone Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have had to replace 2 tires already this year and i just got my third nail in my tire. it looks like a finishing nail. its a slow leak goes to low psi after about a day and a half. i dont have any extravigant tool how do i put a patch on it from the inside. my shop has said in the past that they will not do patch jobs. so can i do this or do i have to buy a 3rd tire this year?

·
Registered
938 Posts
I've used the tire PLUG kits found at Wal-Mart before. They're fairly cheap and very useful. However, this is supposed to be a temporary repair solution. You can ride on it as long as you feel comfortable. The tire will not leak again, unless you plug if improperly.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...I like the mushroom style plugs but they are hard to find here... I usually get the glue in patches that have to have the tire removed to fix it...can be a PITA if your in a hurry but I've never felt nervous about using up the whole tire after one is fitted...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I just use the simple plugs (that you jamb in from the outside) made for cages. I've never used one on a front tire, but I've got as much as 17k miles on a single rear plug and a total of ~70k miles on pluged rear tires all total. Although in theory they could come out, I've never had one leak, much less fly out. I bought my last plug kit at 7-11 for $1.99 at 1am, working great:D

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Plug the tire and ride. Plugs hold up much better than you would expect them to. If you're thinking long term I would go with a patch from the inside though.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I'd never trust outside patch jobs... Get the tire of, inspect the hole, make it proper if needed (small drill or so) and put in a plug! No worries, no need for a new tire.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Plugs are only temporary.

You can use the rat-tail patches from the inside.

But the best is to ask at your auto parts store for the inside patches that you light with a match. That's what my shop uses, the only shop that wil patch bike tires. some kind of gunpower-like stuff that generates its own oxygen heats it perfectly to vulcanize the patch rubber to the inside of your tire.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
No more than one patch in any quadrant around the tire, and never patch a sidewall.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my main question is can i with a small to regular tool shop/my garage can i pull my tire and reset it after i put the patch in. i dont plan on ever patching from the out side.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Yes you can pull and install your tire in a small garage. I've done it in my 2 car garage. If you've never done it before, you'll probably scratch your wheels. There are a few threads on how to do it. Doesn't take too many "special" tools. I do it because the local bike shop charges $40 to swap out a tire.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
I have a friend who does it without tools. Personally, I need a bead breaker, rim protectors, a wheel stand, tire-pinch pliers, two irons, and a Breezer I welded a longer handle onto. Even then I want a Coats machine.

But if I bring in the wheel, I found a guy that dismounts and remounts for $20 including balance. So I have them dismount, I patch, they remount, same $20.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I have 6 plugs wadded up in one hole on the sidewall of my front tire.... on my four wheeler. Holds up great even at full speed and landing frame bottoming jumps.

Front tire of the TL has one. Funny thing is, before I plugged it I was in a hurry to ride and I took off with the front tire flat. Didn't really realize it until I tried to take the corner at the end of my street -she would not lean at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts