TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Akrapovic exhaust system which feature a slide fit and spring retainers to hold pipe together (FZ1, not my TLR). I was pretty sure the system is SS, but it may be Ti. I have 2 pieces of pipe which will absolutely not separate. Parts will not twist at all. I tried tons of liquid wrench (over the course of 2 days), propane torch and pretty good wacks w/ a rubber dead blow hammer (1 of the 2 pipes has a ~90* elbow). Not even a budge.

Pipes don't appear to be cocked. <4k miles on pipes and around 2 years old (I have bike and receipt to prove). A couple other connections were also a slight bit stubborn, but didn't require anything other than a good twist and pull.

You pro mechanics have any other methods to help separate? Only other thing I can think of is getting a proper clamp made to hold the pipe in a vise...may get a little better leverage. Hotter torch?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
if its ti you want ot be careful on how hot of a torch you get. you may have to resort to cutting a notch in the outer pipe then just replacing that piece :O

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Ti force is the only system with tit headers as far as I know?

Maybe you can make straps around both parts, with a big stick functioning as a lever? Can't ruin much with that I reccon..

Have you put the exhaust in the freezer prior to heating the outside bit?

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I used WD-40 or CRC5-56 whatever it's called here, sprayed at the join then gently wiggled them up and down as well as round and round ... not too much up and down though or you'll stretch the pipe.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have put some scary force on these things already (surprised I haven't deformed the pipe). These things are seized good. I have not tried the freezer trick. Dunno if straps would work...i think i would need clamps specific to the OD of the pipe in order to grip them tight enough for the force I think it will need to twist 'em. Really don't wanna cut or damage either pipe.

And TiF is not the only co. w/ Ti headers...Akra definitely offers them for the FZ1. :thumbup

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Maybe some clamps would work.. with some rubber bicycle inner tube to prevent scratching and providing grip. Then some long threaded dontknowhowyoucallit between the clamps with some rings and bolts. Then using the bolts to push it apart or create tension. If that doesn't work combining with a hamer and/or temperature differences?

Was assuming it was on a TL :blush

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If the system is off of the bike try proping the exhaust up so the seized joint is at the lowest point. I guess you could pour a bunch of WD-40 into the pipe and let it sit on the inside of the slip joint. You could also use a little bit of heat in cycles to help draw the WD-40 into the slip joint.

After you get everything apart use some valve gringing compound with a twisting motion in the joints to clean off the high spots of corrosion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts