TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously overweight at the moment (probably weigh about 15kgs too much) and want to get in shape again. I have never liked running, but think that it might be because I have never really been fit enough to run comfortably.

So what is the best way to get into running? How many times a week, for how long, at what pace? And how fast should I increase distance/time?

What other exercises can I do at home that don't need expensive equipment?

I also want to start doing some Pilates to help with a back injury which keeps acting up when I play squash.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
proper diet helps the most u can work out all u want,but if u dont eat right the results will be minimal... good luck with getting in shape i need to get on the same kick :thumbup

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
:stupid

Since I will be unemployed after tomorrow. I plan to go to tthe GYM and work out. Maybe I can network market there and meet someone that will give me a job I'll LOVE.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts

Since I will be unemployed after tomorrow. I plan to go to tthe GYM and work out. Maybe I can network market there and meet someone that will give me a job I'll LOVE.
Del job as in work u get paid for..not all the Woman (MILFS) at the GYM :laugh

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
True that would be nice. :devious :yumyum

I think I would enjoy that job.

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
proper diet helps the most u can work out all u want,but if u dont eat right the results will be minimal... good luck with getting in shape i need to get on the same kick :thumbup
:stupid and don´t rush it and it´s funnier to alternate between swimming running bicycling gym and the pilates are good :thumbup

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I'm already a gym rat.. its always nice to see the new tail float in the gym in january only to see it empty back out in february leaving us hard cores waiting for the next years migration.

Here's an observation for you.. ever notice how the fat over weight people are on the tread mill and stair climber... and the fit, more tone people are lifting weights.

Your metabolism is higher longer lifting weights then it is doing cardio, more muscle burns more fat at rest. You can blast the gym in a half hour doing it correctly and be out in no time and have far greater results then wasting your time on a tread mill. unless your training to be a long distance runner... don't spend too much tmie there.

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
:stupid, best thing to do is find something gets you in your target heart rate, that you won't get bored with. I think the biggest issue with working out is just getting bored.

-:banana

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
now that sounds like the kind of gym work I could do!! I have been advised not to pound the tarmac cos of back injuries (motocross) and cartiliage (sp.) and like E.T, am seriously overweight.

I can't see the point of starting a programme until after christmas so any suggestions :O

most of the gyms around here charge waayyyyyyyy too much for membership:banghead

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
As for running, I would suggest that you run for time rather than distance. Let's say you run for 15 minutes today and that ends up being about 1 mile. If you continue to run for 15 minutes on a regular basis you will eventually get about 2 miles out of that 15 minutes. The goal being to run as far as you can in those 15 minutes. Eventually you can bump up your time and distance.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I'm already a gym rat.. its always nice to see the new tail float in the gym in january only to see it empty back out in february leaving us hard cores waiting for the next years migration.

Here's an observation for you.. ever notice how the fat over weight people are on the tread mill and stair climber... and the fit, more tone people are lifting weights.

Your metabolism is higher longer lifting weights then it is doing cardio, more muscle burns more fat at rest. You can blast the gym in a half hour doing it correctly and be out in no time and have far greater results then wasting your time on a tread mill. unless your training to be a long distance runner... don't spend too much tmie there.
:laugh ya, running doesn't burn fat at all. Just go do some curls then sit in front of the xbox and watch those pounds fall right off :coocoo

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Running can be hard on ur knees and lower back. the best cardio workout is swiming. PERIOD.. just eat a lot but in managble portions. like 6-7 times a day..but very small portion.. what that does is speed up ur metabolism. now why is this important? after 6 hours of starving urslef ur body goes in whats knwon as starvation mode... anything after that u eat ur body will automaticaly try to store cuz so it can save ur ass for the next time u starve urslef. now if u eat a lot in managble portions ur body wont store anything as it has a contineuous supply of neutritions. instead of eating 3 slices of pizza just eat one. half a cup of juice, small ball of salad and soup. grains and meat are good. if u have high cholisterol stay away from red meat, fish is excellent. eat carbs before work out and protiens after.. work out gives u endophins.. ur gonna feel good and before u know it ull look good(im not being gay bro).. food is 80% of ur workout results.. dont starve urself that can be dangerous. eat a lot and frequintly and workout accordingly and ull be fine..

hope this helps guys.. let me know if u have more questions ill gladly help..

Ash

·
Registered
2,695 Posts

that's the best way to get good results. when I first started lifting, I ate like shit, pigged out only twice a day, drank lots of soda, and got minimal results. I did put on some muscle, but it took more work than it should have. then about 2 yrs ago I hit the gym again, with the diet chraika described and the results were MUCH better. I went from 160 lbs, to 180lbs in 2 yrs, and most of it muscle...I'm still an ugly **** tho, what's good for that?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The ABSOLOUTE BEST type of training for weight control and muscle development is the weightlifting circuit. It will get your resting metabolism soaring as well as develop your muscles, strengthen all your bones, increase your hormonal levels as well provide cardio fitness if you stick to the stopwatch. Resistance training will help you to age oh so gracefully to boot. When you get bored and hit a rut consider sports or good ole' cardio.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
yes.. diet is half the battle. +1 on circut.

Hey knock weight training vs cardio all ya want. I not saying do not do any cardio.. just don't waste hours upon hours there.. there are better ways. The point of cardio is to become more effecient at oxygen input and energy out put.

You'll actully burn less calories in a months time running the same distance every day then when you first started. Your body just gets better at it. you you run longer/ faster to get the same results. That sux. Who wants to live in a gym. Blast hard and go home.
and hour tops 3-4 times a week.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the info guys.

I prefer weight training to running anyday, and its much warmer in the gym than outside at the moment! Think I will start some circuit training, then move onto running in the spring. I am also going to try to do 30 mins of Pilates every morning to help with my back and flexibility for playing squash (I want to play competitively again).

·
Who loves you
3,370 Posts
I prefer the road bike myself. I have dropped 30lbs since May of this year on my bike only, but then again I enjoy that type of exercise. I depise the gym for the reasons that crashtd gave...BORING! However, I seem to have hit a wall now, have a hard time losing more weight now that it is kinda chilly outside....

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
now that sounds like the kind of gym work I could do!! I have been advised not to pound the tarmac cos of back injuries (motocross) and cartiliage (sp.) and like E.T, am seriously overweight.

I can't see the point of starting a programme until after christmas so any suggestions :O

most of the gyms around here charge waayyyyyyyy too much for membership:banghead
mark you're not over weight mate,

just under height for your weight:O :laugh
now, if you were a foot taller you would be your perfect weight:confused :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
yes.. diet is half the battle. +1 on circut.

Hey knock weight training vs cardio all ya want. I not saying do not do any cardio.. just don't waste hours upon hours there.. there are better ways. The point of cardio is to become more effecient at oxygen input and energy out put.

You'll actully burn less calories in a months time running the same distance every day then when you first started. Your body just gets better at it. you you run longer/ faster to get the same results. That sux. Who wants to live in a gym. Blast hard and go home.
and hour tops 3-4 times a week.
dsly1 knows what he's talking about. The more muscle mass you have the more calories you'll burn. Period.
There are so many more benifits from wieght training as apposed to cardio. If your serious enough, find a good personal trainer, they are worth every penny. Or you can invest into a subscription of Muscle and Fitness magazine (the best one out there IMHO) and start reading. When I was into the gym, i went from 280lbs down to 245 in about 3 months, and I only did cardio 2 times a week, the rest was done with weights and diet.

I have to get my ass back to the gym aswell.

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
I'm with dsly1 and chraika1 on weight training and proper diet. I've gone to the gym regularly for years and have not touched a cardio machine the entire time I am in there. Cardio might be good for a brief warm up before hitting the weights, but that is about it. I just warm up with lighter weights. I prefer to get my cardio on my dirt bike in a long whoop section :)

Less time in the gym doing it efficiently is more. You don't need to be in there for hours unless you plan on being a body builder. Do the big muscle groups and machines that employ more than one muscle group - leg machines, back pulldown machines (does both your lats and your biceps as you pull down), bench press machines (chest and triceps - a 2 for one sale!)

Also hit the core strength machines. Stomach crunch and the lonely (nobody uses it but me it seems) lower back extension machine.

If you feel like it after hitting the machines then pick up some dumbbells and do curls, shoulder flys, etc. This is a bonus in my routine. If I am in a hurry, I skip these. The biceps already got hit on the pulldown machine anyway.

Ease in, and keep at it. Being fit is not a destination, but a journey. It will not happen in 1 day and it is an uphill battle if you are out of shape, but once you get there, it is not all that hard to stay there. Your brain and willpower are your strongest allies.

We live in a physical world and I view my body as the means to do my bidding. It takes stamina and strength to do the things I enjoy like dirt bikes, wake boarding, skiing, even long fast street bike rides. More energy in general and stress relief is the other bonus. Some time in the gym to keep the old bod tuned up so I can go out and play and feel better all the time is not that big a price to pay. Good luck :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts