TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bored at home fore the next month maybe two. My salvation the Xbox 360.

Can't leave the house except Dr. visits.

I'm thinking of spending between $1000.00 and $1500.00 for a TV. Less even better.

Might order me a lift chair too.

What should I get? Like to have at least a 36" or bigger. Must have at least two component hookups and two HDMI hookups.

Circuit City is likely where I will get it. Fee interest until 2008

Last time I view this idea.

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71386&highlight=LCD

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...the 720p TV's are starting to get very cheap since the 1080p's are starting to hit the market... I'd wait for a year until the 1080p's get cheaper as the market will start to flood - I know it doesn't help you now but I'm in the waiting game for a new TV myself...

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know... I thought about that... but I want/need now.

I might step down to the 30" LCD for around $700.00. This would suit my wants now but not spending a fortune either. Actaully, this will be a credit card purchase so I might now do it. Just thinking out of the box.

Circuit City CC not Visa/mastercard.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Eh...pick up a cheapo 720 for now...then in a year get a better one and move the old one into the bedroom and have HDTV in both rooms.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...I don't know if you want a tube TV or have access to on base (if the prices are better than Circuit city, Best Buys, etc...) but right now they have 34 and 36 in sony HD Tube TV's for $500 since everybody wants the LCD projection, LCD thin or plasma screens (for the most part)...just a thought for a cheap HD set for you?...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The flat sony tube TV's have an awsome picture, better than the LCD/Plasma IMHO. My dad and a few friends have them. They do weigh ~350lbs for the larger ones though, so don't try and set it up by yourself:) Oh and you don't have to worry about burn-in nearly so much as the thin screen types I'm told:O

On another note, there are cheeper entertainment options that would make me just as happy as a big TV - like a stack of good books (seriously, there are some cool books out). I just started reading Ayn Rand Atlas Shruged which seems to be quite good (and is like a thousand pages so it should keep you busy for a couple days at least). Its fiction, but also commentary on the world/politics/economics - my former division director (a brilliant guy, ret Navy etc) said it changed his life :thumbup

have fun

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could study for my GIAC certification but I'm not really interested in pursuring it right now. I know I should be since I only have until November 18th to take the exam or I lose my money. I could also jump online and play around with learning more software. Not really in the learning mode right now though. :dunno

I won't rule out the sony HD Tubes. It might make more sense right now as well.

I won't be touching it, no matter what I get if I get anything. I can't hardly move myself around.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OKay here are the models I'm thinking about. (not sure if the links will work).

Remember to get one. I have to use a Circuit City card so the shopping will be with Circuit City. It does seem like CC is higher than others. If this was a visa/mastercard purchase I would have other options.

Option 1 (has two HDMI inputs)

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sams...47559/catOid/-12868/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Option 2 1 hdmi

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony...47206/catOid/-12868/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Option 3. Thinking these might be too expensive for me at the moment, but then when you consider the price of the others it's not much difference spread out over 12 months.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Spec...2/rpem/ccd/productDetailSpecification.do#tabs
or
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sylv...55948/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

·
Registered
414 Posts
I don't know what size you're watching now but for the hasle of buying a new appliance and worth for the dollar for HDTV I wouldn't go smaller than 42", otherwise you really won't notice it. Just saying why buy a 32 inch from a 27, unless it's broke and you're in a bind. Anyway, definately try to scope them out at the store, but do not let that be the only determination because there are usually feed problems at the stores and quality is lost, plus people or employees play with the settings. Definately read user reviews on the items just as with any purchase. Make sure at the store to have them turn to a non-HD channel to see the quality there and not just HD, because still much of your viewing might be in standard def.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most of my TV viewing will be standard def. I only want HDTV because of th XBOX 360 gaming experience and DVD's. I hear it's so much better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts