TLZone Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would cause my clutch lever to be so tight? If I remove the cable from the lever and the worm drive it slides freely in the cable housing and the lever swings free. The worm has been throughly cleaned on a regular basis and externally all looks okay. It operates good, its just tight on the pull and sloppy on the return.
Help!! :O :O

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Did it happen all at once Jake? Do you know if the TLR engine you bought has Barnett clutch springs installed? That other info would be helpful. FWIW no matter how well the rest of the system is the Barnett springs will always give you that kind of feel compared to stock. I have a set of them on my 86' GSXR1100 & even with the hydo clutch it is a tough pull & return even though everything is super clean & the system is well bled with fresh fluid.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
My guess would be a bad cable. They don't last very long in my experence, esp if you ride in the rain much. You can try lubing it or just replace it.

good luck

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure about the Barnett but it does feel like its getting worse. Although, that could be because Im riding my new bike more and got used to a softer clutch. :coocoo

BP, Even if the cable slides through the housing smoothly when disconnected it may still be bad?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Not sure, mine didn't slide smoothly when it went bad:O

Does it feel like its got a lot of stiction (hard to pull in, but easy to let out - big change in lever pressure required to make the lever move in or out etc)? If so, then its almost certainly your clutch lever pivot, cable or worm drive. If not, then its probably just due to stiff springs.

Someone posted recently about adding more bearings to the worm drive to get a smoother clutch feel - might be worth a try once you verify that everthing else is as it should be.

If you have a 6-spring clutch you could probably get by with stock springs too which would also help things out.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Hey Jake,
You solve this issue yet? I have been dealing with a similar issue on my GSXR1000 & since the worm drive shaft had some scuffing on it I replaced it. Didn't seem to help much & I did lubricate the clutch cable a few times. Today I just took stuff apart & even though I had cleaned up stuff & lubed things I didn't take a great look at everying in the system. That included taking off the clutch lever & examing the part of the lever that slides in the clutch perch assembly. Yes, it had some scuffing in there as did a part of the clutch perch. Used fine sanpaper with some WD40 sprayed on it & got it nice & smooth. While doing this I got tons of lube down that clutch cable. The bolt that holds the clutch lever in position has a collar on it & yeah mine was scuffed there as well. More fine sandpaper & WD40 got rid of that stuff & really fine sandpaper with WD40 got it to a polished finish. Nice.

After putting things back together it did feel better but not great, yet. I noticed the adjuster wheel at the clutch lever was pulled way back out & I decided to check the worm drive adjuster free play with things the way they were set. It was adjusted a little on the tight side but not bad but I did notice lots of threads were exposed on that clutch pushrod adjuster mechanism on the worm drive. So I cranked down the wheel at the clutch lever until it was close to all the way tight & then went back down & readjusted the clutch pushrod adjuster. Doing this repositioned the worm gear drive so that it was starting off at a different part of it's travel. Remember I recently replaced that worm gear drive so I probably had things set like you did. Readjusting the clutch cable free play to allow that worm gear to engage at a different point made a huge difference. Then setting clutch lever freeplay to within specs, going back down & adjusting the clutch pushrod freeplay, then going back up to get the clutch lever freeplay set perfectly did the trick for me. That & doing the other stuff I mentioned. The pullback pressure is greater than that of my TLS but it feels nice and linear now & very smooth...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice. I will definately have to give it a going through. That is one of the last little issues I have at the moment. I'm also still working on a rear tail but the bike is rideable. I smell a track day in my near future. :devious

Thanks for the input/advice. :thumbup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts