TLZone Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i swapped motors in my 2000 tl1000r and the new motor is all in and good but its got a tick in the front cylinder. it sounds like a valve out of adjustment. so i checked clearances twice actually. they are within the specified allowances. so if the clearances are ok then that means i dont have a broken valve spring or a worn camshaft journal cause that would cause one of the clearances to be off. i dont have an exhaust leak. i checked the camchain tensioners they popout like they are supposed to. i am totally out of ideas any help would be greatly appreciated. i would really likeif someone wasin my area that specializes in the tlr and could come take a listen. im located in thomasville pa thanks guys

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I too have a tick coming from the front cylinder. But i have not had the time to look into it as much as you have. If you dont mind iam going to watch this thread to see if anyone chimes in with a possible solution. I myself just assumed the valves were out of spec?

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
get a bit of 1/4 tube 3ft long and stick one end in your ear . put the other end on and around the engine till you find the exact source of the sound. sounds are much different when you do this cos they travel and emerge at places not of the source.
let us know what you find

·
Registered
191 Posts
as Relentless said, ticking is normal in TL's

·
Registered
223 Posts
get a bit of 1/4 tube 3ft long and stick one end in your ear . put the other end on and around the engine till you find the exact source of the sound. sounds are much different when you do this cos they travel and emerge at places not of the source.
let us know what you find
A screwdriver is much better. Just hold the handle to your ear, and the point at the engine at different places.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
they all do it but is prob related to the exhaust decompressor gear or the springs/grooves inside the cam gears (jeez, forgoten what they called, umm?, nope, gone blank)

edit, thats worrying, had to look at the manual ! .. "scisscor gears" :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have actually used a mechanics stethoscope that my dad had instead of a piece of tubing or screwdriver. i cant narrow the location down any more than the front cylinder. how do i know if the scissor gears are bad?? i have the cams from my old motor can i stick them in? can i put the rear cams in the front?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
cam temsioner okay too? but prob normal TL noises

you have to pop the cam cover off for the scisscor gears, you can normally tell l just by prying the two row of teeth apart, if not under spring tension , its fairly obvious, or remove and check properley. (springs can fail/the grooves get elongated)_ Never had the decomp apart, I simply removed mine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
whats the decomp? and where do i find that? i pulled the exhuast cam and the scissor gear on there was a little less springy then another one i had so i put that one in and its the same. and yeah i pulled the cam tensioner out and checked it and it seems to be popping out correctly i heard it click out when i put it back in. could i not be getting enough oil pressure up to that head? there is oil there cuz when i remove the cover its laying in there but could the pressure be low in just the front cylinder??

·
Registered
580 Posts
Someone who owned a TL at one time said that it could be the wrist pin. I'm gonna keep riding and hope it does not get worse. Hopfully over this winter I can get my other engine together.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so today i leaned the tank back and removed the airbox, ran it and used my stethoscope to determine that the right front injector seems to be the culprit of the ticking noise. the rear ones tick slightly when i put the stethoscope on it so it looks like new injectors are due. thanks for all your help guys i really appreciate it. one more quick question does anyone know if i can get a rebuild kit for the injectors??? thanks guys

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,856 Posts
I don't know why the front is louder than the rear on yours, but on my old one they were pretty noisey too.

Decomps - off the cams.

·
Registered
137 Posts
So has anyone yet found out for deff what this damnd ticking is please? is it the CCT and what is best to get rid of it ? any ideas please fellas? Please?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts