Votes: 31 13.0%
  • Never tried to switch to 180 and never will

Votes: 74 31.0%
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will you or did you ever go back to 190's? I have a set off my gixxer 750 track tire and am thinking of putting the 180's on my TLR, well just because its cheaper and I have no user for the 180's after 4 trackdays.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I haven't put a 180 on since 99. Some 180's are definately better than others. I personally keep going back to dunlop, my bike is just perfectly neutral in the corners on dunlops, others....not so much.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought my bike with a 180 BT-014 fitted on the back so i have never tried it with a 190. However, the 180 is stretched on the rim which makes it less curved on the sides, kinda gets to a point and the sides just go straight from there instead of being nice and round.

I'm riding right to the edge of the rear tire on the street while a friend with an SV1000 and pilot powers, 180 on a 5.5" rim rides almost as hard as me and is about 1/4" away from the edge.

I think my next tires will be pilot power 2ct 190/55 or either pilot power or diablo 190/50...

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
TLS Street: 180/55
TLR Track: 190/55

·
Registered
204 Posts
I love the 180/55, but i went from stock wheels with 190 to Marvic magnesium's with the 180 so I'm sure the wheels had allot to do with the improved handling:devious

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Haven't run a 190 on the TLS since 99'. I am running sets of 5.5" rear wheels so for the most part a 180 makes sense. But I got a Dunlop Q in a 190/55 that is pretty much toast after a few track days I ran it on my GSXR & it is mounted to a later model 6" GSXR1000 rim. I have an extra cush drive & sprocket carrier for that wheel & I will probably swap it onto the TLS in a few months. Just a little hesitant about going back to a situation where the rear of that bike doesn't want to turn. But it's heading for the street only & I really should use up that take off so I would do it if I were you.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I love the 180. Makes the bike feel much lighter imho. Note I've never tried a 190/55 or a 1190/50 on my 5.5" rim and never tried the 180 on the 6" rim. But do know I'll take a 180/55 on a 5.5" rim over a 190/50 on a 6" rim any day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
the only problem i had was with the rim being to wide so the tire had less contact to pavement when i put a 190 it felt alot better

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
honestly i think alot of its in the riders head, they have the idea that a 180 will be so much better before they get it and so there brain just loves it when they do. dont forget alot of 180 and 190 tires made by different companies are the same size anyway. my mate has a 180 cunlop on his r6 thats the same size and profile as my 190 pilot power.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
i think it's easy to tell the difference between tyres. the change between old and new of the same size and make is amazing......... tired loads on mine in the last 8.5 years.... 190/55 is definately the best on a 6" rim. 180/55 on a 5,5

·
Registered
676 Posts
Ok I hate to answer a question with a question but I have some confusion.

I looked at my friends Superhawks back tire and it is a 180-55-17 Strada.
I looked at my bikes back tire and its a 190-50-17 BT020.

Mile looks much wider and flatter compared to his which has ahigher raised center and a steeper slope from the center to each edge.

It is almost the same exact distance from edge to edge if you measure the convex (outside) portion of the tire. Yes I believe that the steeper edge of the 180-55 makes it feel like it is quicker going in to a corner. But wouldnt that steeper edge make it more difficult to slip flop from a left corner to a right? At least that was my impression of the VTR compared to my TLS. Now granted they are different bikes and the TL outhandles the VTR any day at higher speeds. But I ride a lot of canyons and I am looking for the quickest turning tire from full lean right, to full lean left, and then back. Anyone thinking of that or just initial turn in?

Thanks, I am torn between the 180-55, the 190-55, and the 190-50.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
chopiesel said:
honestly i think alot of its in the riders head, they have the idea that a 180 will be so much better before they get it and so there brain just loves it when they do. dont forget alot of 180 and 190 tires made by different companies are the same size anyway. my mate has a 180 cunlop on his r6 thats the same size and profile as my 190 pilot power.
In my case you are seriously wrong! I have ridden 180's on a 6" rear, many, many 180's on a 5.5" rear wheel, and most recently a 190/55 Dunlop Qualifier on my GSXR1000 with a 6" rear wheel. Today I just swapped the spare GSXR wheels with the Michelin Power Race Med/Soft's in a 180 mounted onto the GSXR1000 & scrubbed them up a bit riding down the street. So the Dunlop Q's were just on there & I ran 4 track days with that 190/55 rear on a 6" rear wheel. I can instantly tell you what is going on in the back, pretty much even tell you what tire & wheel combo is back there. Yes, the difference is that pronounced. Going from a massive 190 Dunlop Q to a nimble shaped 180 Michelin you cannot help but tell the bike steers way, way quicker with the 180. Sorry folks I have heard people post this idea up & I can tell you for a fact that unless you run lots of different tire makes & tire sizes you are hard pressed to tell us that most everyone can't tell the difference. Hog wash!

I distinctly remember the first day out on my TLS at high speed Willow Springs big track when I switched to the 5.5" rear wheel with a 180 Dunlop 207 GP mounted back there. I used to run the same tire mounted on a 6" wheel. Did that for about a year and a half. In the high speed turn 8 where you are doing about 130 mph I felt the rear move around out there for the first time ever! It was just a little loose and that never happened in T8 to me. The front end always headshakes a bit through the ripple bumps but the rear was always planted & just going along for the ride. But now the rear was moving around & at first it was a little nervous making as both ends were moving around at speed with my knee puck skating off the tarmac. Had to do about a dozen laps to reinforce that the rear was just moving around & it was OK but it still had plenty of grip & I got the confidence to push it a little harder through there.

There is a lot of psych going on in riding but any rider that has enough where with all to be able to evaluate what a bike is doing will be able to tell the difference between tire sizes & wheel sizes. I recommend you go to a racetrack & talk to racers and the race tire support personnel - think they will give you feedback on this subject. Damn, I wish you lived in the area so I could invite you to come over & mount up different rear wheel tire combinations & ride them back to back within 10 minutes or so it takes to swap out rear wheels. I do have 4 rear wheels (two 5.5" & two 6.0") that have various tires mounted & I do have a Pirelli Super Corsa 190/50 take off laying around I could even mount on my "bare" spare 5.5" rear wheel as well. Yes, that 190/50 will work on a 5.5" rear wheel. So you would have a Dunlop Q 180 on a 5.5", Pirelli Supercorsa 190 on a 5.5", a somewhat thrashed Dunlop Q 190 on a 6.0" and a Michelin Power Race 180 on a 6.0" to try out different combo's with. That would be a nice educational experience IMO!

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
My only comment would be you can't make general statements i.e. ALL 180/55's do .... ALL 190/50's do...... :coocoo

Each manufacturer (even each tyre model) is different. I have only used 190's on my S. I had a pair of Avon's (190/50) then went to Pilot Race H2's (190/50) - the michi was wider AND taller than the Avon, and the bike instilled total confidence on them, secure, planted, easy turning. I have currently got SC2 Supercorsa's on (190/55), and they are very narrow and even taller (though not significantly more than the /50 pilot :dowhat ). They turn beautifully, grip well, and inspire confidence, but at the same time seem to make the bike every so slightly more "wayward" and not quite so stable.

But my point is, a 190/50 Dunlop say, may have less overall height than a 190/50 pirelli, and a 180/55 michelin may be taller than a 180/55 Avon. Therein it is possible that a tall 190/50 from one manufacturer may actually be taller than a flatter 180 from another.

Don't forget tyres even vary within the same model - for example Bridgestone designed a Hyabusa specific BT57 which is narrower and taller than similar sized variants, and has a slightly harder compound. Most manufacturers make model specific tyres as well as "generic" versions of the same tyre so be carefull how you compare :coocoo :coocoo

However, to answer the original question - you already have the tyres, you say they'll be good for nothig else, so what do you have to lose by mounting them? get on and do it, and see for yourself :laugh :laugh

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
:stupid

And remember a "looser" feeling out back doesn't mean you are out-of-control or it is dangerous condition! You just are not used to the wheel moving around a bit out there & as long as you have traction & it isn't breaking loose you are FINE! You are used to an achor like feel out of the rear end & that is not necessarily such a good thing. Especially on the TLS which in stock trim handles like a dog. Get a Harley rider to ride your sportbike & ask him how unsettling the handling feels! That's why I continue to chime in on threads like this is due to lots of generalized statements people latch on to. Generalized statements are "generally" wrong. But not generalized statements about generalized statements of course. :)

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Mr. DOBALINA said:
:stupid

And remember a "looser" feeling out back doesn't mean you are out-of-control or it is dangerous condition! You just are not used to the wheel moving around a bit out there & as long as you have traction & it isn't breaking loose you are FINE! You are used to an achor like feel out of the rear end & that is not necessarily such a good thing. Especially on the TLS which in stock trim handles like a dog. Get a Harley rider to ride your sportbike & ask him how unsettling the handling feels! That's why I continue to chime in on threads like this is due to lots of generalized statements people latch on to. Generalized statements are "generally" wrong. But not generalized statements about generalized statements of course. :)
generalized statements? like "Especially on the TLS which in stock trim handles like a dog."

Dog???? no way. pony maybe....possibly wolf....but it's not all THAT bad stock. :rant

:kicknuts :2finger :cheers

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyone know if my 01 750 and my 02 TLR both have the same size rim?

My Diablo Corsa 180/55 should fit ok on my TLR, no?

1 - 20 of 89 Posts