·
Registered
116 Posts
Holy shit!!!!!!! What a dumb f**k :coocoo

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts
Oh wow, poor guy.

It really sucks that he had no idea about how dangerous that was before he did it.
Props to him for turning it into a PSA announcement instead of keeping it to himself (like most people would have done) in the hopes that someone else doesn't try it.

I knew jack squat about bikes before coming here back in 03 as the TL was my first bike. Thankfully the good people here answered all the questions that I had and I stayed out of trouble for the most part.

Best wishes to that guy in having some quality of use out of that hand in the future.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Holy crap! That was dumb. :coocoo

When i read that I immediately thought of Bill Engvaul and is skit about Walt telling his buddies not to change a fan belt with the motor running!:laugh

·
Registered
593 Posts
wtf?!...oouch!!...hope he heals up...a very hard way to learn the lesson...but you have to give him props for taking pics posting them with the intent to prevent others from the same mistake...

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
I like how no one has informed him yet, of the correct way to clean his chain. so I assume its still shitty.

I'd have passed out I think, don't like blood. Therefore I am very careful about things i do.
Guess this is an easy mistake for someone who isn't thinking.

Live and Learn. eh?

·
Registered
643 Posts
what a dickhead.....
just turn the wheel dude....no need to start the bike up....:loser

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
He was probably in a rush to get out and ride and thought that having the bike running would be more efficient. Poor guy. That is a life-long lesson.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Ouch. Good friend of mine in high school was riding his bicycle and went to fix his pant or shoe or something. Got his thumb caught in the chain/gear. It wasn't a bike you could freewheel backwards so while he was riding he had to crank all the way through to get his hand free. Had to have his thumb amputated. Ugh.

·
Registered
334 Posts
wow that sucks. he was being awefully nice to the bashers. he was very aware he made a mistake and was trying to prevent it from happening to anybody else. it was a rookie mistake and we get rookies on here all the time as i'm sure they do. gixxer guys are dicks :laugh

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Hindsight is 20/20 after all.

I did not click the link, having a pretty good idea what happened :puke

My personal practice is to turn the wheel by hand and backward if working the lower run of chain, so there is no way my fingers get sucked into the rear sprocket, even under hand power.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
That's pretty messed up for sure but think about it, if something like that happened to you would your first thought be hey, I need to take a picture of this :dowhat

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's pretty messed up for sure but think about it, if something like that happened to you would your first thought be hey, I need to take a picture of this :dowhat
He said that he took pics while he was waiting for the ambulance. :dowhat

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts

Heck yeah - I would take pics right after I did the pain dance all around my driveway whipping my hand around and spraying blood everywhere. :laugh

1 - 20 of 35 Posts