TLZone Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm posting a lot of threads I know I know. Here is the situation tell me what you think.

97TLS with blow engin in 2006.

2007 I swapped in a R motor and Never got it running right. I rode it for the summer never longer then a couple of hours. Every now and then I would see oil from having the levels to high and would get oil in the airbox.

2007 Lost my job so the bike modification project took a back seat.

The bike sat outside under a cover for over a year

It's been in a garage for the past year.

So now I'm back on the project and it's running. I need to get the piping for the oil cooler straight in the next couple of weeks and synch the tps this weekend. The problem is when it starts up it smokes out of the exhaust and from the engine. THe smoke is very thin and smells like dust or paper burning very faint smell.

When I hit the throttle it comes out of the exhaust. The garage is extremely dusty. The oil was changed but like a jackass I forgot the filter at home and didn't get a chance to put the new one on..:banghead

And the coolant hasn't been changed in two years. Can dirty coolant and an oil filter be causing the smoke?? and the fact that the bike was covered in dust. I let it run for about 8min or so before I cut it off.

I'm TERRIFIED of blowing another engine out!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I figured this weekend I would change to engine ice, oil change and filter, synch the tps, and figure out the oil cooler issue.. if it's still smoking I guess blown gasket maybe? How the hell do you fix that????

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
White smoke ... isn't that water in the combustion chamber?
... you sure that when you washed it, no water went down the exhaust? Happened to me once :)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Smells like dust or paper? I'd think you have a mouse building a den in the exhausts. Could be just the dust burning off too.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'd do the new oil and filter like you say and then what about the gas?...if it's been sitting for a year I would try and get the old gas out and put in some fresh. I can't see the coolant having any effect on how the exhaust looks. It also might be needing some new plugs...

·
Registered
321 Posts
white smoke??? HuH!!
Yeh, my bike pumped out some of that when I inattentively filled the tank with diesel rather than petrol. Well that was as long as it continued to run - about 1/2 km.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,420 Posts
Smoke is less likely to do any further damage by taking it for a short run unlike a knocking engine.

Changing coolent and oil won't make any difference

Did the coolant have antifreeze in it when it stood for a year outside ?

Take it for short 5-10 mile ride then check the coolant level, check the radiator cap for white sludge etc and see if the smoke stops :thumbup

Reactions: Smelly Little Kiwi

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Smells like dust or paper? I'd think you have a mouse building a den in the exhausts. Could be just the dust burning off too.
:laugh Thats gonna be one f**king deaf mouse :laugh

·
Registered
39 Posts
Light white smoke hey. Coolant in the combustion chamber absolutely stinks when coming out of the exhaust while the engine is running and the spark plugs will look very clean when removed, possibly small white dots of residue on the plugs. Or seen as it has been sitting for a while it maybe small amounts of oil passing the rings. Or oil can pass by the valve guide seals under decelleration and cause white smoke. Or white smoke on start up only is valve guide seals (leaking past seals when engine is stationary). There are a couple of idea's anyway.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
:stupid given your description of the smell. My poor TLS often sits a while between rides so I am familiar with the smell of dust burning off. Otherwise white smoke generally suggests coolant, i.e. head gasket or something.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm betting on valve seals. They dry up if left un-oiled. Oill will pass along the valve guides when the seals get crusty. Vaccuum from the intake will pull a small amount of oil in the guides, and burn in the combustion chamber giving white smoke.
If that's the case, it's a cheap fix, but a laborious one.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
have you aftermarket cans? after sititng in/out for two years , packing might be old and crusty etc. I'd go for a local ride, after two years, whatever it is, might burn off?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am going to sink the tps this weekend and try to ride it for 30 min and se what happens.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,420 Posts
In every TL engine I've done (and thats a lot) I've never come accross perished valve stem seals.

Burning oil will give blue smoke not white and stem seals will only smoke on initial start up and on the over-run, blue smoke from a steady throttle is rings/bores

White smoke is water/condensation, the packing in the cans could be very damp from so long outside or puddles of water in the bottom of the headers.

Take it for a ride first, that will eliminate the above :thumbup

·
Registered
2 Posts
In every TL engine I've done (and thats a lot) I've never come accross perished valve stem seals.

Burning oil will give blue smoke not white and stem seals will only smoke on initial start up and on the over-run, blue smoke from a steady throttle is rings/bores

White smoke is water/condensation, the packing in the cans could be very damp from so long outside or puddles of water in the bottom of the headers.

Take it for a ride first, that will eliminate the above :thumbup
Hey brother it’s the future now but are you still out here for some advise? 97TL1000s

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
he is still around... what is your question.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
he is still around... what is your question.....
I have a 97 tls front head has a knock/rattle wen on the throttle seems to get quieter as the gears get higher and I don’t hear it at idle? Also I may have alittle fuel pump issue but I don’t think that would give me a knock/rattle up front ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts