·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Ah yes. That is what got us all in so much trouble :lol

J

·
0 Posts
Ah yes. That is what got us all in so much trouble :lol

so true, I was watchin samsons account today, and in couple of seconds the stocks went so low that the account went from 150k->130k, then it just bounced back. Just think of the agony if it would be real money.

I sold the Toyota stocks, because I wanted to buy nokia today, as our Finland OMX stock exchance was up 16% in a day with this nokia result. and because of the time difference I'm waiting for similar raise in NYSE. maybe less, but anyway probably good raise.

·
5,503 Posts
I am amazed Wall St. is buying into the prospect that Washington can save the US economy from a down cycle. The consensus will come to reality in this area eventually and my pessimistic shorty portfolio will rise again from the dead, muhahah!

The other day, prior to the big rise at the end, I was actually in 2nd place for awhile. I considered closing out my positions, but then decided to "see how far I could take it". Then the Dow rose 300 points. That was a surprise. Back to the toilet for me :lol

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I am amazed Wall St. is buying into the prospect that Washington can save the US economy from a down cycle. The consensus will come to reality in this area eventually and my pessimistic shorty portfolio will rise again from the dead, muhahah!
well given that they caused it............nah I agree not much chance of washington improving things (a Keynesian I'm not:laugh).

·
5,503 Posts
Wall St. is anything but rational. At this point there is no sense in selling at a loss, just wait for the price to change so at least a small profit can be made. It is all over the place.

Currently in real time I have half my portfolio in bear funds, a China short ETF and I am shorting an emerging markets ETF.

Damn VSE got me the lousiest price imagineable on my China short fund. I beat the price in real life by $15 a share :lol

·
5,503 Posts
I may set aside a couple bucks and follow Samsonskeg. The man is a genius. :lol

·
5,503 Posts
Im tired.
Sell them all. Take the easy win :lol That Ambac play was brilliant. Next time you get an idea like that, PM me :D

For real I am looking at SIRF - maker of GPS chipsets. Their stock is at a 3 year low at $14.50, ahead of their 2/4 earnings report. SIRF has a history of beating estimates. I have a 150 share buy in at $14.35. I hope I am not chiseling it too cheap and miss an opportunity. Last quarter I bought 'em at $18.50 and they beat earnings and rocketed to $30. I sold out at $28.50. SIRF has been good to me.

Up 13.5% for me in the VSE today. Also a good day for real, as I own 75 shares of Proshares China Short (FXP) and it was up $8.65 today, plus another $2 in after hours :devious Pity I got such a random crappy price on that in the VSE.

I also picked up 50 shares of Owens Illinois today this morning in my real account ahead of their earnings report after today's market close. OI beat estimates, I am hoping they jump a few bucks in pre-trade tomorrow. Maybe I can make a quick $300 or so.

I took a beating lately for real so far this year. Gotta keep swinging though, taking smaller well founded bets, doing some shorting, keeping a solid core base of mutual funds (Fairholme and Dodge & Cox). I have a small 200 share position in one finger to the wind hit a home run biotech stock - AtriCure - ATRC - purveyor of minimally invasive coronary surgery products. Think of the stuff they are developing as arthroscopic surgery for the heart. I see a need for that here in cholesterol heaven burgerland USA. If AtriCure hits, that small position could conceivably pay for a new car some day. One can dream!

I missed an opportunity with Onyxx Pharmaceuticals. Owned them for a year, was in the red the whole time, got discouraged and sold when I saw a small profit. No kidding, two days after I sold, they announced favorable clinical trials and the stock went from $12 to $50 My $3,600 position would have been worth 15 grand if I owned the pig for two more stinkin' days.

Then there is MasterCard. Bought 190 shares of that at IPO for $46 and sold too early at $92 a share as it peaked at over $220. Don't get me started on that one. Then there is Apple at $84 a share...

Tired indeed. Learning experiences also :banghead Dammit, I will prevail in the end :)

·
Registered
764 Posts
next time, we're picking a different site. *sigh*

-:banana
I can't believe that MarketWatch would put out such a crappy website. Well at least for next time it can only get better.

J

·
0 Posts
damn I had to cut losses for couple of times as my buy in with harley davidson went wrong. there is couple of problems when doing the investing to US stocks from here. First the time difference. I usually need to pick the stock while the us stock market is closed and just say buy with market price. during next day I saw how it went, but the next morning may be different and I cannot collect the winnings from the top.

Also I'm unfamiliar with most of the companies.I know the big ones, but nothing else.

yesterday I was almoust under the 100k and I had to open up jubak journal to check the 50 best stock list from him. It was comforting that jubak list was all red too. So it's not a easy market to be in. at least for short term gains. long term it's probably the best time to start searhing for bargains.

so I went what I know and what where also in jubak list, Texas instruments, nokia and qualcom. and made it to + side with those luckily.

·
5,503 Posts
Mastercard up $10 in pre-trade this morning on higher profits. And I was thinking of shorting it. Thank goodness I didn't. Damn, I am buying Visa when it IPOs in the next few days :drool

My short positions were up 13.5% yesterday and are flying today in pre trade. On to #2 baby!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sell them all. Take the easy win :lol That Ambac play was brilliant. Next time you get an idea like that, PM me :D

For real I am looking at SIRF - maker of GPS chipsets. Their stock is at a 3 year low at $14.50, ahead of their 2/4 earnings report. SIRF has a history of beating estimates. I have a 150 share buy in at $14.35. I hope I am not chiseling it too cheap and miss an opportunity. Last quarter I bought 'em at $18.50 and they beat earnings and rocketed to $30. I sold out at $28.50. SIRF has been good to me.

Up 13.5% for me in the VSE today. Also a good day for real, as I own 75 shares of Proshares China Short (FXP) and it was up $8.65 today, plus another $2 in after hours :devious Pity I got such a random crappy price on that in the VSE.

I also picked up 50 shares of Owens Illinois today this morning in my real account ahead of their earnings report after today's market close. OI beat estimates, I am hoping they jump a few bucks in pre-trade tomorrow. Maybe I can make a quick $300 or so.

I took a beating lately for real so far this year. Gotta keep swinging though, taking smaller well founded bets, doing some shorting, keeping a solid core base of mutual funds (Fairholme and Dodge & Cox). I have a small 200 share position in one finger to the wind hit a home run biotech stock - AtriCure - ATRC - purveyor of minimally invasive coronary surgery products. Think of the stuff they are developing as arthroscopic surgery for the heart. I see a need for that here in cholesterol heaven burgerland USA. If AtriCure hits, that small position could conceivably pay for a new car some day. One can dream!

I missed an opportunity with Onyxx Pharmaceuticals. Owned them for a year, was in the red the whole time, got discouraged and sold when I saw a small profit. No kidding, two days after I sold, they announced favorable clinical trials and the stock went from $12 to $50 My $3,600 position would have been worth 15 grand if I owned the pig for two more stinkin' days.

Then there is MasterCard. Bought 190 shares of that at IPO for $46 and sold too early at $92 a share as it peaked at over $220. Don't get me started on that one. Then there is Apple at $84 a share...

Tired indeed. Learning experiences also :banghead Dammit, I will prevail in the end :)

Im looking for genetics/biomedical crap at the momment.

Mastercard up $10 in pre-trade this morning on higher profits. And I was thinking of shorting it. Thank goodness I didn't. Damn, I am buying Visa when it IPOs in the next few days :drool

My short positions were up 13.5% yesterday and are flying today in pre trade. On to #2 baby!
Also, looking at that Visa :)

·
Registered
743 Posts
Is now the time to start dumping money into the market when I can? Looks like it might be a good time to start catching some stocks on the bottom end. I am investing through USAA right now, anybody here good or bad about their investments? Working on getting enough scratch together for one of the index funds they have.

181 - 200 of 225 Posts