TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been looking around for an older bike to do a project cafe racer with. Well I do believe we have a winner....a 73 Yamaha TX750. Needs a lil work to be road safe, but she runs and rides nice. Electric start is inop, but it fires right up on the 1st or 2nd kick. This should be entertaining. (also needed something to ride while I do other mods to the TLR :devious )

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Looks good. :thumbup

I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a classic/old bike ... perhaps an old Ducati or BSA etc.

:)

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Nice old bike...........be warned they had a very very bad rep for cooking themselves when they came out.......oil channels or something,not trying to detract from your purchase at all...i love old bikes,somewhere i have some old articles on them and the problems they had motor wise...will dig them out if of any interest.....im an old bike magazine horder:dowhat

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MIKE FORD said:
Nice old bike...........be warned they had a very very bad rep for cooking themselves when they came out.......oil channels or something,not trying to detract from your purchase at all...i love old bikes,somewhere i have some old articles on them and the problems they had motor wise...will dig them out if of any interest.....im an old bike magazine horder:dowhat
Any help is appreciated. As it is I have to pull the motor and bust it apart as the guy that sold it to me said that it sometimes slips out of 3rd and 4th gear. Plan on checking and replacing a lot of parts while I am in there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice bike.. You can see my dads in the background of this pic.. He has had it since it was new.. They are a pain to get parts for. .Most shops look at you and say they never made the bike.. His has 13xxx miles on it and never had any problems with it.. They scoot along pretty good for a 73 too.. Enjoy!!

P

·
0 Posts
Nice find. :)
Didn't the 73 have double disc's in front?
Oh well, those old Yamahas are pretty unusual and Iv'e not seached much for them. For one simple reason, unusual bikes mean it's hard to find people knowable in them and finding parts are even harder.

I was on my way to buy a older (or old looka like) bike to build a Café racer. but then ultimatedly decied i need a new car.
So my Café project is postponed to next winter. :(

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I go to MMI (Motorcycle Mechanic Institute) so I will be doing as much as I can myself. It should just be minor stuff that I send out to get redone.
Deemerk--your dad's looks pretty mint. Very nice. yeah I am seeing that parts are RARE to day the least....LOL

·
Registered
612 Posts
kickass project bike.

You might be able to find parts for it - There is a giant old bike yard just south of Payson. If you want to take a ride up there on a saturday let me know, just PM me.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pull---PM sent
Chuck---though I am not as good as you with the write ups and pix, I will do my best to keep all posted.....went out and looked closely at it today to think of different things to do to it. LOL
Deemerk---show us some close ups of the bike....for history's sake. LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts