TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an extra bike, and a decision to make. It's very beginner friendly, street legal, fun, and flexible in what it can do. It's an '07 CRF230L. I've thought about hanging onto it for company or as an extra bike for when small will do but I already have a street legal dirtbike and I just don't see myself parking my DR650 to play with the CRF under sober circumstances.

I'm pretty sure that I'll just sell it but I'm having a crazy thought, which I'd like some opinions on. Ever since my mom went on vacation to Thailand and ripped around on a scooter with some friends, she's been talking about the idea of learning how to ride a motorcycle. A scooter isn't an option because she lives in a more rural area where light highway use is a must. It's partly a mid-life crisis talking but at the same time, I know she'd enjoy and appreciate it. I'm considering giving her the bike as a gift along with some riding lessons. My main worry is about her safety. I've raced with guys that are older than her and faster than me but those are people who have been riding their entire lives. I'd feel responsible if anything happened and I don't know how well she'd physically handle even a relatively minor spill. She's in her 50's but doesn't live a very active lifestyle. That being said, if she's going to do it, the timing won't likely get any better, and the bike is very well suited for the job. What would you do?

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Personally i say do it,perfect bike for the job at hand,only thing i would question is her height.Power wise its perfect,possibly when setting her loose a dampish paddock may well be best as its a softer landing.:dowhatand at her tender age some gear with armour in the obvious places.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Just ask her. Make the offer. She's the one that'll the make the ultimate decision anyway.

good luck,

C

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
i went thru the local MSF coarse with some older ladies that were sick of being on the back of their hubbies bikes one of them was HORRIBLE and ended up being smart and parking her bike and walked up to the instructor and said "im sorry this isnt for me" maybe get her into something like that if you have it around you, its a good way to see if you really like it. i thought i learned alot from it too, and i broke alot of bad habbits and became a better rider.............

good luck

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
My mom rides a DR200SE (pretty similar) and seems to have a great time on it. She's extremely active in general and has even done a bit of MX in the past.

I'd suggest starting out off road only, its much safer and enables skill development much, much more quickly, then if she gets the hang of it and can handled the bike well transitioning to the street would be safe and easy. She could use the CRF230L in the dirt or you could get something a bit smaller like a TTR125LE.

good luck!

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I agree. get her into an MSF course first, see how she takes that. If she likes it and all, then give her the bike :yes as Josh said, teach her in dirt first before the street

on a secondary note...the link in your sig doesnt work :laugh

·
Moderator,
8,227 Posts
:stupid MOM and MSF! :banana

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree. get her into an MSF course first, see how she takes that. If she likes it and all, then give her the bike :yes as Josh said, teach her in dirt first before the street

on a secondary note...the link in your sig doesnt work :laugh

Must not have payed my bill. Fixed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts