TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old man and a bunch of others (lot's of old retired farts) are restoring Australia's only surviving B24 Liberator down at Werribee.

More info here >> http://b24australia.org.au

Dad showed me a short DVD on the weekend of him trying to get the No2engine running in an A-Frame. (Be afraid :eek).

I just searched for it on YouTube and it was there. My old man is the one with the grey hair :laugh (He's on the controls most of the time). The guy with the fire extinguisher is quick.

If you don't get through the 6 minutes of it, it finally runs off the carb at the very end...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzKe0YRK0U0

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
sweet

those guys are putting their heart and soul into it :hail

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Awesome:hail

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Excellent, what was "fine" tuning required to get it running smoothly ?

Did somebody have the timing 180Deg out :laugh

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something like that :laugh

It was something to do with the adjustment of a lever that affected the fuel pressure in the carb. The times it fired but didn't keep running was from the injection of raw fuel (and the cause of the little fire)

I had a look at the crank and rods of one they had stripped down, interesting stuff these radials.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Yah ... the air museum near Sam's place had one with cutaways, and you could push a button and get it to spin ... I must have sat there for like 20 minutes - I think the custodian was getting worried about what my intentions were :devious :laugh

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
cool stuff and crazy old farts :laugh

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
A couple of points.

1. Seems like a whole lot of unschooled mechanical engineering genius going on there for sure. Nothing like years of experience.
2. Death to the cameraman who chose to film feet while there was a fire going on.
3. Who's idea was it to film this, edit it and put it on the net? Those guys might be pretty handy with a wrench but they don't look like the types to be editing farts into a video on a computer.
4. Man, I'd love to sit with these guys and a case of beer and listen to them talk engine stuff. I'd be in way over my head but I bet it'd be a great time. :thumbup

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
They aren't a lot taller than you Jasen, maybe they could communicate on your level sir. :lol

Great Stuff, Steve.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
That's just the simplest view BP - all the gearing for opening and closing stuff is awesome to watch in action - especially when it's like 24 cylinders in 2 banks with sleeve valves or something :doug

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Its wild isn't it? I've seen a cut away of a real motor somewhere too, though it wasn't animated. I think it was the Smithsonian Air and Space Museaum at Dullas that has the cut-away. They've got a section with about 20ish IC aircraft engines, mostly bigish stuff - big radials, V12's from a certain fighter etc:deal

I really like radials for some reason and fancy building a Pitts Model 12 with the trusty M14P:devious

·
Registered
623 Posts
That is a sweet beast of a motor!! Us young-er-ish cats got nothing on them old timers. Hell, half of us have trouble keeping a tl running. LOL!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts