TLZone Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my TL1000R for a month now, it was dropped so I am converting it into a streetfighter project. I runs fine except one problem - the temperature always indicated _ _ _ which means I have no idea how hot it is. There is no FI fault code on the gauges for "temp malfunction"", I tested the sensor, input voltages etc and it was fine. I bought a set of second hand gauges thinking it was an indication problem but still no joy. Could it be the ECU that needs replacing? Any idea's? ECu is quite expensive, thought I would ask for some ideas first.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,857 Posts
_ _ _ appears when the temperature is under 20C (68F - I've not seen an imperial bike, but I imagine they have nothing showing on the display below 68F)

Put the sensor in a pot of boiling water and take some measurements to see if the resistance is within spec.

(Make sure you don't have the intake air temperature sensor and the coolant sensor plugs in the wrong sensors. It's been done before :))

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm thanks, I'll check that 2morrow, the temp in UK is always below 20 degrees so it could be that. I plugged the new speedo in to the loom but after seeing _ _ _ on the display I lost faith and went to the pub for a pint instead! I'll run it up in the morning, I had no idea it had to be above 20 degrees to register. Thanks, will keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
If you didn't have the bike running long enough for the engine to come up to temp that would be totally normal:) best of luck

·
Registered
93 Posts
i live near holmfirth uk...my gauge reads --- when first switched on, then immediately goes to 20-22-24 so on till it gets to optimum temp 80-85...in traffic i have seen 100..but always returns to 80-85 or so...as above the temp sender must be at fault..try wiggling the wire to the temp sender , see if that helps..if not..remove as above :)

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
sounds like you have the coolant temp sensor mixed up with the air temp sensor. i've heard the plugs are the same so can be cross-wired

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,857 Posts
All sounds ok to me, exactly as it should be :dunno

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the whole story is - the chap I bought the bike from didn't tell me he put GSXR clocks on instead of TLR clocks (Red was 14 000 rpm instead of 11 000 rpm). So I never had any temp indication or FI fault codes, now with the new gauges it is all sorted. Didn't realise it had to be above 20 degrees before it registered when I put the new clocks on!

Thanks chaps, feel a bit silly now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts