TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen this video??
TL1000S TPS and TB sync

I have a TLR but this video shows how to do TPS and TB Sync for a TLS.
Are there any differences I need to know about before performing the TPS and TB Sync on my TLR?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Only difference is that the TLR doesnt have the airscrews on the TB's...

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
do the balance BEFORE you do the tps.

then recheck the balance.

if it changed then recheck the tps.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm glad I asked. I was gonna look for those screws. And I was going to do the TPS first.
So thanks for the responses! :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally got the airbox all the way off and I thought I was ready to do the TB sync. But I've got a few problems:

1) I don't think I have the right tubing. I bought something for ice/water machines. It's the right diameter but too stiff, not flexible at all and probably won't make a good seal over the nipples. So can someone provide a link to Amazon.com or some site where I can order the right kind of tubing for a TB sync? I can't use eBay here at work but most other sites should be ok.
2) I'm pretty sure I found the nipple to connect to on the front cylinder (small rubber cover with a clip). But what about the rear? There are 2 vac lines. One has a clip to hold it in place (bottom). The other line has no clip (top). I think the TLS TB Sync Youtube video uses the top nipple. But for the TLR, which one of these lines am I supposed to connect the hose to for the rear cylinder? The top nipple is connected to a black/orange filter. Could I connect to that?
3) Once I get the right tubing and connect to the right nipples... What fluid can I use? I understand most use auto trans fluid. But I don't have any. I do have a lot of anti-freeze and 2-cycle engine oil. Could I use one of those? Does it matter how much fluid I pour in? Any tricks for pouring fluid into such a small hose??

I know most the members here have done their own TB sync. But I have not been able to find a lot of information online on how to do it right on the TLR. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: I think I've got the tubing where it will work for TB sync.
ruler.jpg
I used some 5-min epoxy to glue these little metal connectors into the tubing.
connect.jpg
And I'll use some spare tubing from my airbox mod to connect to the nipples on the TB's. I'll try it tomorrow.
I just need someone to let me know which nipple to connect to on the rear cylinder intake? And what fluid is best (I don't have auto trans fluid)?

·
Registered
3,300 Posts

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
i took mine off last week so i took a pic. By the time you have read this you probably would have found it....but here is a pic of the throttles as if you are standing on the left of your bike viewing forward...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sorry... those photobucket pictures are blocked here at work. I don't know why, but I can't view them.
Thanks for the youtube link. That's the most informative and TLR specific video I've seen so far.
It looks like I'm supposed to connect to the bottom nipple on the rear intake for TB sync. The manual shows there should be just a rubber cap on that nipple. But I've got a hose running to something on the bottom nipple. I'll check it out when I get home. I guess I'll try the 2-cycle engine oil and see how that works.
Thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now I just need to figure out how to get all that 2-cycle engine oil into such a small opening in the tubing!! :)

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
if you stand on left side of bike and look at throttle bodies, the rear one...the nipple is located down on bottom left hand side ...say like 7.00 o'clock. it has a rubber nipple on it. its right at the base of the throttle just before it is connected into the head...

ull find it

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's just it. My TB's don't match the manual. And don't match any YouTube videos I've seen. My front TB has the rubber cover over the one nipple and that's easy to reach. The rear TB has 2 nipples, both with a hose attached. The top nipple hose is connected to the VSV? (the orange/black valve). The bottom nipple hose runs behind the rear cylinder to a T-connector. One side looks like it goes to the IAP sensor and I can't remember where the other one goes. I think some day, I need to just redo all the vac hoses to make sure it's done right. Looks like this guy has all new blue vac hoses in his TLR.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did the TB sync as best I could. I had a yard stick with some 1/4" tubing taped up both sides. I glued some metal connectors in place at the tip of the tubing and connected to some of the existing vac hoses rather than right onto the nipples. I used 2-cycle engine oil (which may have been a mistake). Now I've got a huge POS in the garage! :(

·
Registered
13,113 Posts

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
trying to work on your own bike might have been your first mistake...............

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...u will get help
This forum has been super helpful with all my issues. I have already had a ton of progress in the right direction. I'm sure my failed TB sync attempt has to do with me buying the wrong tubing, being cheap, and not taking the time to do it right. Granted, the TLS seems to have way less stuff in the way compared to the TLR. Plus the previous owner of this bike did a horrible job of putting the electronics and vac system back together after chroming the frame.

I'll give the TB sync a better attempt early this week.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stu, you mention a "tap" in your $10 TB balance thread...
The tap is kept closed while the motor is started and warmed.
I'm sorry, the computers I'm using here block all those "photobucket" attached images. Do you have a picture you could attach from your computer showing how you installed the "tap" in your tubing? I just don't want to make anything worse...

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Stu, you mention a "tap" in your $10 TB balance thread...

I'm sorry, the computers I'm using here block all those "photobucket" attached images. Do you have a picture you could attach from your computer showing how you installed the "tap" in your tubing? I just don't want to make anything worse...
Male nurse,
The tap he mentions is a small thumb screw operated valve. In the aquarium world it likely regulates the flow of bubbles. In his diagram it is isolating the fluid while the bike warms up. It is an optional component as my Ring-in inspired gauge doesn't have one. But since your sync seems to be a bit off it might be a good addition. It might ensure your vacuum imbalance doesn't suck in the fluid.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts