TLZone Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 99 S. I can hear a tapping sound under my chin when riding. It's inconsistent and varies with revs. Is this likely to be chain/valve train noise or perhaps even a gas leak?

Many thanks,

Carl.

·
Super Moderator
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,699 Posts
I have a 99 S. I can hear a tapping sound under my chin when riding. It's inconsistent and varies with revs. Is this likely to be chain/valve train noise or perhaps even a gas leak?

Many thanks,

Carl.
Carl,
The noises you hear are likely to be perfectly normal. The TL is a noisy engine with gear-driven cams and two cam chains; cam lobes on the shim buckets; and fuel injector solenoids.

If you can, post up a video (or YouTube link) with decent audio, and the members here will do their best to listen for any abnormal noises from your engine.

A gas leak wouldn't make any noise. It just creates a fire hazard. :LOL:
Plus, you should be able to smell it and see it.

Welcome to the Zone. (y)
Also, post up a few photos of your TLS and your history with it. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi all,

Many thanks,

Carl.
I am sure I have the same noise!
Not owning a TL before it dose make me a little paranoid especially as it comes and goes.
So far so good

·
Registered
100 Posts
I hear all kinds of noises on my 97 s, but then again my tl has over 115000km ,or at least thats what the odd had on it.they come and go.i just make sure that oil is good, and whatever else I can keep and eye on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts