TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
As usual, people who know nowt are talking crap ..... :banghead

The TLR never had a stability issue as stock ...... it weighs a ton, sits low, and has a steering damper as standard :coocoo

The original ('97) S was the one which gained the instability reputation, and caused Suzuki to issue a retro-fit damper that killed the slow speed steering of the bike :rant

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
That video has nothing what so ever to link it to TL tankslappers :dowhat

Yes the 97 TL had a reputation but in my opinion was mostly caused by over tight chains due to incorrect adjusting and failure to check after tightening the axle. The rear suspension would lock mid travel as the chain became like a bow string and in turn transmit the problem to the front.

Also squared off tyres, low pressures, slack head bearings from too much wheelying etc were other factors....

Basically maintain your bike yourself and not via a dealer and you won't have a problem :thumbup

·
Registered
371 Posts
Get in a broup buy for steering dampers.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
:stupid

but with a damper you're fine

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Landing wheelies can go wrong. :yes

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know that wasn't a tl in the video but it shows how fast it can happen. i've been lucky enough to never have a major crash and i want to make sure, if it does happen, i did everything i could to prevent it. maintenance, technique or whatever. i know the steering dampner is supposed to help but what else can i do to help prevent it? :O

·
15,415 Posts

·
Nothing to see here...move along
2,463 Posts
i know that wasn't a tl in the video but it shows how fast it can happen. i've been lucky enough to never have a major crash and i want to make sure, if it does happen, i did everything i could to prevent it. maintenance, technique or whatever. i know the steering dampner is supposed to help but what else can i do to help prevent it? :O
If you're basing that on the video...it's simple, don't wheelie. That rider did something stupid and crashed. My current TL doesn't have a damper, although I recently picked up a GPR V4 to put on (thanks Sully!). Only problem I've had with my TL involved a Lincoln Navigator, damper wouldn't have helped :laugh

A better video to make you feel even more helpless :devious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpOxMDE0acE

·
15,415 Posts

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Even more so when it's the missus :devious

Still can't help but look at the womens cleavage who helps out, I'm sure i'd lay there as long as possible with those wobbling in front of my eyes :lol
:stupid :devious

1 - 12 of 12 Posts