TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not getting rid of the TL.

My wife and I used to enjoy riding together and since I bought a TL with a solo set-up, we haven't ridden together in over a year. And frankly, that's just the way I like to ride the TL!

So, I'm looking to get a cruiser for riding two-up. There's one on ebay right now that's within driving distance from me - and I want to buy this fall/winter to take advantage of the seasonal pricing. It's a 2004 V-Rod with 3000 miles for $12,000. :coocoo

I want to strike while the iron's hot (translated: The wife gave me permission). So, has anyone spent any time on a V-Rod? Thoughts, riding impressions, two-up capability?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
They are terribly uncomfortable for both rider and passenger, worse than the TLR imho unless your talking about one of the big models with arm rests. But the smaller, chopper looking ones like the V-rod, sporty's, fat boy etc are painful to ride imho. The feet and hands foward thing combined with lousy suspension (even by TL standards:scared) is just not a good thing. (disclamer, I haven't riden a V-rod, but have riden other crusiers of similar proportions both single and two up....)

A big adv touring type bike might be just the ticket. They will do everthing better than a crusier imho. The DL1000 would be drastically more comfortable (I've ridden one and gotten the opinion of pillions regarding the rear - its quite good overall, but the rear pegs tend to be a bit high, still better than a 1200cc sportster though), if you need hd'ish stuff a Buel XB12X is said to be super comfortable for both rider and pillion. Even a BMW GS series would be better for about the same $$.

have fun

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Harley riders always spout off about how much Japanese bikes depreciate. True enough I suppose, but I can take the 10 grand I saved by not buying a Harley and invest it and buy a new bike every 6 years on the interest :devious

I will never own a Harley. They come with too much image/lifestyle baggage. I don't want to be a "me too wannabe". Find a nice pre-depreciated metric cruiser and save the wads of cash.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I'm with BP on this one. Took my first ride on a cruiser at the Honda Demo Day on a VTX1800. The bike was sweet, plenty of power, handled much better than I'd thought, but it wasn't nearly as plush and comfortable as I'd expected. In fact I felt every single bump on the road much more so than on any stiff suspension sport bike I've ever ridden. I can't understand how the guys even ride hard tail cruisers.

I'd suggest either what BP suggested or...I've always been a fan of the Honda ST models. Maybe that new ST1300. You should be able to get one of those for slightly less than a V-Rod, and then you can enjoy the Honda reliability over the Harley, the comfort and the suprisingly good handling.

·
Registered
790 Posts
This weekend I rode with someone who had a Honda ST1300. It had the backrest on there as well and looked extremely comfortable, and it didn't have that huge bulky presence of a goldwing, but with the saddle and backrest it looked very similar in comfort.

edit: you beat me to it gixxerjasen

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Here's a pic of a Uly 2-up. While I'm not crazy about the motor, I really like the looks and general idea of the Uly

An FJR

R1200RT

ST1300

Review of the three bikes with pillion comments here
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/05_Sport_Tourers/index.motml

I'd also have a look at the Triumph and Ducati ST bikes, the ST3 is super sweet from all I've read:drool

Oh, and the mg norge

·
Registered
764 Posts
That is a great deal for a low milage Vrod. My neighbor has one but he doesn't ride it much. I think he bought it just to park in the driveway in the summertime but who knows.

As for the feet foward cruiser position, it really is not as comfortable as say the sport tourer position. It puts a lot of strain on your lower back. Also it is difficult to take your weight off of the seat when going over bumps which promotes to the bad ride that others have mentioned.

For two up riding I'd go with a sport tourer first then a full bagger second. That being said, if I were looking for a cruiser I'd seriously consider a Vrod if they cost a little less. They do very well against the other "power cruisers" which happen to cost not that much less than the vrod.

Here is a pic of the '07 Night Rod

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
VRod is the coolest, best engineered bike of The Motor Companys stable though.......

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Don't make me come up to Binghamton and slap you silly Jim.

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
don´t buy a harley :kicknuts

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
For half that you could ride this (erm, the bike...with a full dual seat of course). Ride an original. Much more comfy too :D

Seriously though, do ride before buying. V-Rods have decent engines but are not noted for comfort. Quite the opposite actually (not that I have personal experience on one. I do own the Guzzi in the pic though.)

·
14,150 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Nix on the Harley. I'm with Dunken, too much image/lifestyle baggage....and Harley's shake/vibrate too much. I'd prefer something with the foot pegs closer to under my body rather than out in front, that way your legs can absorb the bumps instead of your spine.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't make me come up to Binghamton and slap you silly Jim.
So...Uhhh...Jeff, I'm not the one that sold my TL!!! :kicknuts

Yeah, you guys are making some great points. Definitely given me reason for pause and reflection. If the ride's not comfy, the wife and I are going to be no further ahead than we are now.

But all you haters have to admit - the V-Rod IS drop dead sexy!!! :hail

·
14,150 Posts
The VRod IS the sexiest Harley ever. :rotfl

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
I'm with the others on the ST bikes. There are used FJRs out there for reasonable dough. The ST1300 is probably one of th finest mileage disposal units made. I gravitate toward the FJR because of that motor, but at the end of a really long day, it is hard to beat an ST1300 with anything less than a Gold Wing.

The guys who ride these things generally are, um, "mature" riders, so you don't have to worry too much about it being beat upon either. :)

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
If I was looking for something to ride two up, it'd be a beemer for sure.
Comfy, still handle pretty well and run forever.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
honestly my cousin has a 2005 Vrod , he loves it but he said he wants to sell it so i doono how deep that love is.. i like it but its way too heavy for me and ur back was killing me after 20 minute ride around town.. but here is a harley u might wanna get while "there" iron is still hot..
:coocoo

1 - 20 of 34 Posts